Ist Beef Brisket

Started by Wingman, January 15, 2010, 12:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingman

Hello everyone,  just want to say again, ' Thank You " to all who contribute to this forum for it has helped me make so many fantastic dishes. But again I need some advise. Doing my first beef brisket. All rubbed up and waiting to go. Here is the ? I need to have done for 4:00 tomorrow for playoff game. Weighs 4 lb. what time do you think I should start to do it so I can then FTC and eat at 4:00?

FLBentRider

Does it have a fat cap ?

If not I would put some bacon over it.

4lb.... I would probably start around midnight to 3am.

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

I am not a brisket GURU. But I would suggest starting at 6pm smoke for 4 hours then it should be done around 8-10 am and you can FTC until game time. Like I said I am just guessing since it is only 4lbs and the briskets I have done where a lot bigger.
Appears someone that knows more than me was typing at the same time I was.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

MPTubbs

I would plan on 1 1/2  to 2 hours per pound.

Last brisket I did took 18 hours and it was a 10#er.

Outside temp was in the 20's.

Pulled when IT hit 190* and FTC for 3 hours.

Turned out great!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Wingman

Ok here is my game plan. Starting tonight at 10:00 pm . Replacing water bowl with a alum tray filled with hot water. Placing rubbed brisket on 2nd shelf with a few slices of smoked slab bacon on top. Placing a empty alum tray on 3rd shelf to catch drippings. Leaving temp at 200 until morning then will increase to 225 until internal temp of 195 is reached.  FTC and then and begin drinking until  game time. What do you think? Will I be ok not checking the meat until morning?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Wingman on January 15, 2010, 01:47:02 PM
Will I be ok not checking the meat until morning?

Yes, it should be OK.

The rest or your plan sounds good as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wingman

Good Morning Everyone just wanted to give an update. Checked out brisket this morning at 6:00 and everything is doing fine. Except for a litle handover from all the beer and homemade wine. Took box temp up to 225 and the internal temp is at 174 so I guess I will be ok to make opening game. Thanks Again

Wingman

Another update. Internal temp is at 186 should I FTC or take it a little higher?

MPTubbs

I'd go to 195* IT.

I did a brisket and FTC for 3 hours after an IT of 185*.......was alittle tough insome spots.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Wingman

Ok guys just had to Thank Everyone again. This site is fantastic. The Brisket came out tasting great. Pulled at 195 and then FTC. No knife needed. Meat was so tender. Made Earlyman55 sauce up and that just added to a great meal. Everything came out perfect. Thanks Again

Tenpoint5

Glad everything worked out for you Wing. WHAT's NEXT???
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Wingman

Not sure. Last 3 years I have done alot of different things. I guess my favorites would be ribs, candian bacon, maple bacon. fatties, and stuffed peppers. All the healthy things you know.