what is the easiest to smoke for a new Bradley own

Started by tenacioustommy, April 03, 2005, 10:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenacioustommy

Hello to all,

received my Bradley and ordered the Bubba Pucks and temp probe, now what to smoke, ribs or beer can chicken, for the first try which would be easer for a beginner

thank you in advance
Tom

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tenacioustommy</i>
<br />
Hello to all,

received my Bradley and ordered the Bubba Pucks and temp probe, now what to smoke, ribs or beer can chicken, for the first try which would be easer for a beginner

thank you in advance
Tom
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Forum!  My suggestion would definitely be the chicken.  Other really easy things to start with are Boston Butt (pulled pork) and beef brisket.

Check out the Sticky "For your added pleasure" at the top of each forum--it has lots of tips and tricks for the newbie.  It's still an ongoing project, but it should provide a lot of practical help.  If you need more info or clarification, just ask!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

tenacioustommy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tenacioustommy</i>
<br />
Hello to all,

thank you in advance
Tom
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Forum!  My suggestion would definitely be the chicken.  Other really easy things to start with are Boston Butt (pulled pork) and beef brisket.

Check out the Sticky "For your added pleasure" at the top of each forum--it has lots of tips and tricks for the newbie.  It's still an ongoing project, but it should provide a lot of practical help.  If you need more info or clarification, just ask!

John
Newton MA

John,
thank you for the info, will check out Sticky

Tom

Oldman

Tom without a doubt the butt is the first thing you should smoke. It is fool proof.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

nsxbill

Ditto on the butt!  Welcome to the forum

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

ChefBill

Welcome To the Forum Tom,
Go for the bonein Butt and make pulled pork. It's hard to screw that up. 'Bout only thing you can do to mess it up is not smoke/cook it long enough. ChefBill

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

bsolomon

I agree that it is very hard to mess up a pork butt, but I suggested in the first-time smoker guide that beginners start with chicken.  The reason is not so much that it is any easier, it's just that the payoff comes much sooner (5-6 hours versus 20+ hours).  The hardest part about learning to use the Bradley is developing the confidence that everything indie is going to be OK, and the patience to just let it do its thing.  If a first-time smoker starts with pork butts, and then starts peeking to check on it, without understanding the concept of the rendering plateau, 20+ hours can easily go much higher.  So I say, start with the chickens, and you might have leftovers to eat while the pork butt is smokin'

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bsolomon</i>
So I say, start with the chickens, and you might have leftovers to eat

Or use the leftovers for smoked chicken salad[:D][:p][8D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.