whitefish smoking recipies

Started by littlecavedog, March 31, 2005, 01:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlecavedog

BigSmoker

Long time smoker needs more info[:D].  Alder wood is good on fish[;)]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Cold Smoke

Cavedog- what you looking for, mate? Smoked whitefish is awesome! I might have some info for you if that's what you're looking for.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">littlecavedog Posted - --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 i need help new to smoking! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Need more info.

Cold Smoke

Crazy Canuck

Welcome to the forum LCD

You will find everyone helpful but you will be required to be more descriptive. The more information you give the more that can be returned. There are some very knowlegable people here in the art of smoking and all are willing to help.

Addicted to Smokin'[:p][:p][:p]
DanR
Fort St. John BC

mikeconc

<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="black"></font id="black"><font size="6"></font id="size6">Hi, I live in Dartmouth, Devon, SW, UK and catch quite a lot of Pollack up to 20 lbs each.  Their white flesh is a little like Cod or Haddock.

We make a solution of brine.  Into about 1 gallon of water, dissolve 1 Kg (approx 2 lbs) of cooking or sea salt (Not table salt, which has added iodine to make it pour more easily) and about 4 ozs of brown or white sugar.

Take the fillets of white fish and soak them in this brine solution for about 1 hour.

Remove from brine and lay out to dry off on racks (spare shelves for your smoker) in a cool place & covered with a clean cloth, or in the refrigerator.

Cold smoke fillets next day when surface is substantially dry for 3 or 4 hours.  We like Alder or Special Blend flavour biscuits.  Apple is good too but far milder flavour.

Allow to cool and wrap fillets in clingfilm (siran wrap) and place in deep freeze.

Try gently poaching a fillet in a shallow pan in fresh milk with a couple of bay leaves for flavour enhancement.  Simmer for approx 15 or 20 minutes.

Remove from pan and drain.  Add freshly ground black pepper to taste.  Serve topped off with a couple of freshly poached eggs on top.  Delicious.

If you gently flake this cooked fillet when cool and coat it in lemon juice and creme fraiche, it is delicious when served with a green salad too.  [8D]

Patsy & Mike Concannon

Mike Concannon

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Mike and Patsy!  It's super to have another member of the international contingent on board!  Thanks for posting your recipe for pollack--I'm sure Olds will be chiming in to tell you how to add to the Recipe section of the FAQ board he and others are working on.  Pollack are very common on the Atlantic coast of the US, too.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

Hi Mike.... and welcome to the forum,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">catch quite a lot of Pollack up to 20 lbs each.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I had hoped to try smoking a few pollack this summer, unfortunately round the Isle of Man nowadays a 10-12lb fish is good, even off the wrecks. There has been a lot of charter boats from NW England and North Wales hitting the local wrecks over the past few years. [:(][:(]

The manx name for pollack is calig but in whatever language I find them excellent eating. Battered in a beer batter makes the most wonderful traditional fish and chips! [:p][:p][:D][:D]

What size fillets do you use in the recipe you quoted? [:D]

Manxman.
Manxman