New model PID; OBS; and Smoke generator control.

Started by GusRobin, January 17, 2010, 05:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Okay, looking to see if any of the creative people on the forum can find a way to:
I want to get the new model PID (the one with relays) to control the smoke generator on the OBS. While I have some ideas, I am knowledge limited.

My thoughts were that the PID would be connected the power outlet, and then to the smoker box. So the PID would control the elements in the smoke cabinet the same way it does now.

The generator would be plugged into some type of outlet/switch that would then be plugged into the power outlet. The switch would be connected to one of the extra relays on the controller. So when you first hooked it up the power would run through the switch which would be open and provide power to the generator. I would set a time in the PID to activate the relay which would signal the switch to shut -off thereby shutting off the generator at the time I designated.

That's the easy part, the hard part is that I don't have a clue if it is even feasible, how to implement it; which parts to use, or where to get them. Other than that, piece of cake.

So anyone up to trying to figure this out?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Mr Walleye

Hi Gus

The more expensive of the 2 new Auber PID's ( link here ) has the two built in relays for doing what you want. The manuals aren't on the web site yet so I don't know if you have to open the case or not but to my knowledge (I'm not an electrician) a relay just opens and closes the hot wire of a circuit. The pictures in the link really don't give any clues either.

I would send Auber an email and ask him. He is really good at responding to emails very quickly.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Quarlow

Ok just on the K.I.S.S. method why not just put in the amount of pucks you want and then let them run out like normal. If you don't want the burner on after the pucks run out, a simple and cheap electrical timer like the ones you use on house lights would shut it off. I think the PID has it's power source other than the smoke generator so you would not be shutting off the heating element for the tower. And I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything just a simple way of doing it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

Quarlow has the right idea, you've already got controls for the generator, so you'd just be duplicating what you've got. If you're hell bent on doing it anyhow, you'll need the specs for the relay from the mfg. Most cannot handle high current.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

GusRobin

Quote from: Quarlow on January 18, 2010, 12:16:23 AM
Ok just on the K.I.S.S. method why not just put in the amount of pucks you want and then let them run out like normal. If you don't want the burner on after the pucks run out, a simple and cheap electrical timer like the ones you use on house lights would shut it off. I think the PID has it's power source other than the smoke generator so you would not be shutting off the heating element for the tower. And I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything just a simple way of doing it.

But where challenge?  :)
On the serious side,Thanks for the input
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.