Big Green Egg

Started by Cold Smoke, April 02, 2005, 06:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Frank!  You've made a great choice to get the Bradley.  I went through the same decision-making process a few months ago and I'm really glad I got the Bradley.  A good friend went with the Cookshack and whenever we compare notes (and food) he regrets it.

I don't have anything to add to the good advice others have given you on chicken skin, but I would recommend you strongly consider purchasing your BS from Chez Bubba.  You'll definitely want to get Bubba Pucks from him, and you'll get a lifetime 10% discount on bisquettes.  If you don't already have a remote temp probe, the Maverick ET-73 is a great entry-level (i.e., low-cost) choice, while the ProComm/Raptor/Competitor/BBQ Guru combos will cost you lots o' dough but do a lot more, too.

Check out the Sticky "For your added pleasure"--it has lots of great info, and feel free to keep asking questions as often as you like!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

The following is just an idea[:D].  I cook wings on my BGE at low temps 250°f.  The skin on the wings comes out crispy.  Whole cook time is usually between 2 1/2 to 3 hrs.  I got the recipe from the Dizzy Pig site.  Basically goes like this---> egg wash.  1 egg, 1/2 cup heavy cream mixed together well.  1 cup flour, 1/4 cup corn meal, 2 tablespoons of your favorite rub.  Put wings in egg wash let extra drip off.  Add to flour mixture cover well but not caked on, repeat with all wings.  Place wings laying flat on a pan in fridge for 1-2 hrs.  Grill until done.  Never fails to acheive a superior crisp skin.  I have also tried it with thighs.  Same result.  The Bradley cooks slow why not a whole chicken.  I have been wanting to try this but work and sports has gotten in the way of some of my cooking[:D].  I will do this but it may be a week or so before I get a chance.  It might work?

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

car54

I bought a Primo oval from Bigsmoker for my wifes birthday. She grills and I smoke. Bigsmoker has good prices and good service. I did some research on ceramic grills and I like the size of the oval. Our Weber is wearing out using real lump charcoal of which the ceramics are designed for.

And now for the funny part of the Primo. I designed and made a grill cart for the Primo with 4 casters. I bought a grill cover for it and the other day the wind gusted underneath the cover and made it into a parachute. It traveled down the walk and it was pushed over. Fortunately there was no damage because it fell against a bush and landed in some gravel.

Brad

Cold Smoke

Thanks to all who posted their suggestions and recommendations! The BGE gets good reviews along with a couple of other grills- looks like I might have to do some more research and soul-searching.

Thanks again![:D][:D]

Cold Smoke

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fstubbsjr</i>
<br />I think I will go with the Bradley as soon as I get back from sea(I'm in the NAVY).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Frank,

Call us, we want to say thank you for what you do.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

charlie

Oldman,

Could you please tell me what the "t-Shirt Method" is. I have never heard of this.
Thanks!

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by charlie</i>
<br />Oldman,

Could you please tell me what the "t-Shirt Method" is. I have never heard of this.
Thanks!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Olds,
I hope a entire section(at the recipe section) is dedicated to the "t-shirt method".  Best ham I ever had and I am looking forward to the Boston butt for sliced soon[8D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

JJC

Hi Charlie,

Oldman (Olds) is the inventor of this method.  Here is a link to the method:

http://bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1003&SearchTerms=HOW+ABOUT+DOUBLE+SMOKED+HAMS

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA