Motorized stuffer

Started by FLBentRider, January 20, 2010, 11:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTNuge

I've worked with starboard before, used to use it on the bottom of saltwater aquariums.  It's a lot like what you would find with a plastic type cutting board.  You can cut it with a jig saw, should be able to screw through it although you will want to drill pilot holes.  It's pretty easy to work with, comes in different thicknesses and is pretty darn tough and durable.

OU812

Hey TTNuge if it works I could use one of those spacers.

I have the Cabela's / Weston 11 lb stuffer and the piston not going all the way to the bottom is a real pain.

Let us know how it works.

Thanks

TTNuge

If you search E Bay for "KING STARBOARD POLYMER HDPE" you can get it in different thicknesses and should cost from $10-20 shipped for a square foot piece.

squirtthecat

Quote from: TTNuge on January 22, 2010, 08:40:27 AM
If you search E Bay for "KING STARBOARD POLYMER HDPE" you can get it in different thicknesses and should cost from $10-20 shipped for a square foot piece.

Thanks for that tip!

Is that the same as the stuff that is in cutting boards?   I could make a huge one.. (and in any shape)

OU812

Quote from: TTNuge on January 22, 2010, 08:40:27 AM

Thanks TTNuge

deb415611

My guess is that since its made for marine purposes is that it is not food grade.  Personally I would check it out before using in my stuffer.  

here is the company that I bought my cutting boards from for my cheese press.

eta -- I just looked at that companies website and they do have some cutting board material listed as one of their products but I would be careful to make sure that you are buying something food safe and not a different material

squirtthecat

I'm just going to use it for a work area - something that would wipe clean easily.

That's what I do with my big cutting board now..  It cleans up easier than stainless steel.

They had a strip of that stuff that would fit nicely across the front rack of my Traeger.

anderson5420

I have not worked with Starboard, but it is sort of like a plastic cutting board material, and big sheets are very expensive.  Good stuff though.

This turned out to be perhaps 1/16" too big to fit in the cylinder, so it went back to my friend on Guemes this morning via Priority Mail.  Last time I measured the piston and took off 1/16".  This time I am going to measure the inside of the cylinder and allow a bit of slop!  It also is too thick to screw to the piston, not enough clearance when the screw is at the top of its travel, so will need to rig a way to retrieve it from the bottom of the cylinder after stuffing...

Quote from: Quarlow on January 22, 2010, 08:13:57 AM
Have you ever worked with that Starboard? Does it nail and/or screw like wood? Is it structural like wood? I bet its expensive.
So many recipes, so little time!

Quarlow

Just thinking here but if you made sloppy wouldn't the meat force up the sides and be hard to work with. Or would it be such a small amount not to worry about?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

smokeNcanuck

If you are looking for something cheap for a work surface look in to a material called UHMW(ultra high molecular weight).
It is relatively inexpensive and come in a variety of thicknesses and sizes. You can check McMaster Carr 
http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyethylene/=5hsgk7 (sorry don't know how to post fancy "hear" and attach link, I'm new)
I have also used it in food applications before.  Delrin is a another good choice (more dense) but is also more expensive.
I would think either would work well as as a spacer in a stuffer as well.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

anderson5420

So, next to last chapter in the starboard stuffer spaces saga.  Yesterday I stopped by Harbor Freight Tools and got a little $2 slide caliper, and RE-measured.  The spacer, it seems, needs to be 4-5/8" - this will let a little bit of meat squish up the edge but since the piston is right on top of it, it will not be a problem.  A plastic cutting board would have been a better choice for the material, because it is thinner.  The starboard is just a shade too thick, so my friend put a stainless threaded socket in it so I can screw in an eye to retrieve it from the bottom of the cylinder, it is on its way back via Priority Mail right now. Last chapter will be when it gets here and can finally get the last meat out of the bottom of the cylinder into the dang casings!
So many recipes, so little time!