How to get temp up in the cold HELP

Started by PASmoke, November 16, 2014, 06:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PASmoke

Hi all,  totally new to smoking. I have the 6 rack, digital.  I tried to season it tonight.  I could not get the internal temp above 90. It is cold outside, about 34 degrees.  I was trying for 160 degrees. I turned the heat up to 300 degrees and this brought the internal temp up to 90-91 but no higher. Is there something wrong with my smoker or was it just too cold outside. Thanks

TedEbear

First, hi and welcome aboard.   :)

On the heat issue, it sounds like only the smoke generator is producing heat and not the 500W element.  With a new smoker the electrical plugs are usually tight and unless you give them a good push when you plug them in they don't always make a good connection.  Try unplugging them all and reseating them with emphasis on giving them a good, solid push.

Also, try to keep your smoker out of the wind.  That sucks the heat right out the vent but do not be tempted to close the vent.  Keep it 1/2 to fully open all the time.

Tiffin

Also make sure your smoker is either plugged directly into the wall or on a quality extension cord. I have heard of others having problems using poor extension cords as the element isn't getting the power it needs.
BDS4 unmodified

Saber 4

The advice you've been given is great and probably will solve your problem, once you get it seasoned and are ready to start smoking meats the meat itself will act as a big heat sink. You can use a 9x13 cake pan with boiling water or a couple of foil wrapped bricks to help with heat retention when you get your smoker up to temp and are ready to put the meat in.

Habanero Smoker

Hi PASmoke;

Welcome to the forum.

You will also find many tips and trouble shooting ideas if you click on the link below:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

I had the same problem with my 6 rack when I bought it.   Check the wires inside your smoke generator.   Mine had a couple of loose connections.  Fixed that and my problem was solved.

PASmoke

Thanks to everyone who responded. I'll try to unplug the unit first and make sure I've plugged it in properly.  I also used an extension cord with the unit.  It was a good extension cord, same one I've used off a generator to get elec to my sump pump.  I'll try plugging it in directly to the wall. Hope something works. Thanks again.

beefmann

Welcome aboard, the others have you  pointed in the  right direction