First Cheese smoke, I have a few questions

Started by mbetz, January 23, 2010, 06:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbetz

JF7FSU, the storage box is by Suncast.  Here is a link to the one I have, the GS2500.  http://www.suncast.com/productdisplay.aspx?id=221&pid=22  They have several styles and sizes.  I believe I purchased mine at Lowes several years ago.

Deb thanks for the info on that cheese.  I have never had it before.

Right now I am doing an empty cabinet test to see how much the smoke generator will raise the cabinet temp.  So far in 20 minuets it has raised the temp about 20 degrees from 45 to 65 degrees.  I am going to let it go for an hour to see what it does before putting in the cheese.

Mark

pensrock

I would use ice on the bottom rack, in a foil pan. No water in the bowl.

EDIT:
Also you do not have to vacuum pack the cheese. I rarely vacuum pack my cheeses. I wrap with plastic wrap and put into a ziplock bag. I have never had any go bad even after several months in the fridge.

mbetz

Well I think I am definitely going to have to use Ice during this smoke.  So far after 20 minuets the cabinet temp is up to 84 degrees with just the smoke generator.

Thanks for the info about the vacuum sealing.  I have my mom's right now so I am going to give it a try.

Mark

classicrockgriller

Mark, don't forget you can open the door a bit to cool it down.

mbetz

Well here it goes.  I got delayed a bit helping my Mom patch her driveway but the cheese is finally in.  Start time around 4PM.  I am applying 4hrs of maple.

The 3 alarm is on the left, Farmers is on the upper right, and the cheddar is the two on the lower right.

Picture of my setup.

Closer view of my setup.

Will post more pictures later.

Mark

classicrockgriller

KevinG

You guys think the smoke might have a hard time getting around those tins with them being so close to the cheese?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

mbetz

KevinG, just lowered the ice pans to the lowest rack.  I just noticed that pensrock mentioned that earlier.  My thinking was keep the ice close to the cheese to keep the temp down.  I did not think about the smoke flow.

Thanks,

Mark

KevinG

That's how I did mine, had the ice on the lowest rack and the cheese on the upper 2ND rack, (but I was doing mine in 100 degree wheather so I had another set of ice on the top rack with a rag under to catch any drips.

mbetz

Well the cheese is all done.  I think it went pretty well.  I only had to crack the door twice to keep the temperatures from getting too high.  The cheese is all vacuum packed and is now getting happy in the refrigerator.  Here is a picture of the finished product.  I would love to hear what everyone thinks.

Mark

squirtthecat

Looks good to me!  Now the long wait begins...  (2 weeks, min)

classicrockgriller

Mark, cheese looks just perfect!

If after two weeks and the taste is not right, revac it and let it ride longer.

KevinG

pensrock

mbetz

Thanks everyone.  Talk about fast service.  I ordered my PID from Auber Saturday morning and it was at my front door when I got home for lunch today.