BIG chicken!

Started by 32incheye, April 06, 2005, 12:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

32incheye

The outlaws are coming to town Friday and my wife wants me to make something "special".  I was thinking of smoking a chicken as we just got some from a farm.  Problem is that they are huge.  The are all around 8-9 pounds.  How do I go about smoking one of these?
Should I spatchcock it, cut it in pieces, or leave it whole?
How should it be marinaded?  Brine?  Rub?
At what temp. should i cook it and most importantly,  how long will it take to cook?  Is there a certain time/pound like for other meats?
Thanks for any advice.
Kris

oguard

Kris you might want to try a search of chicken on this sight and you should find the info you need.Oh and BTW welcome to the forum[:)]good to see another Canuck[:D].

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Habanero Smoker

This would also depend on what type of chicken are you planning to smoke. At 8 pounds, they are either stewers or capons; it too large for a roaster. If they are capons, most of the recipes on this forum will work, and I would suggest a brine over a marinade, and smoke it whole.

If they are stewers, that is a bit tougher meat. I never smoke a stewing chicken, and probably would not try to smoke it, especially for the first time and it will be served to guests. Smoking them may work, but they are better cooked by stewing, simmering or braising (low moist heat). If they are stewers and you plan on smoking them, I would cut them into parts and marinade them. I posted a marinade that may work well with a stewer http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=299&whichpage=2 . If you use this marinade use the second one that I posted.

Let us know what type of chicken you are planning to smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />This would also depend on what type of chicken are you planning to smoke. At 8 pounds, they are either stewers or capons; it too large for a roaster. If they are capons, most of the recipes on this forum will work, and I would suggest a brine over a marinade, and smoke it whole.

If they are stewers, that is a bit tougher meat. I never smoke a stewing chicken, and probably would not try to smoke it, especially for the first time and it will be served to guests. Smoking them may work, but they are better cooked by stewing, simmering or braising (low moist heat). If they are stewers and you plan on smoking them, I would cut them into parts and marinade them. I posted a marinade that may work well with a stewer http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=299&whichpage=2 . If you use this marinade use the second one that I posted.

Let us know what type of chicken you are planning to smoke.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I agree with Habanero Smoker on this. However, my monies is on stewers and not a capon. 8 pounds is small or a grown capon. Most of the ones I get are in the 14-16 pound range.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

32incheye

I have no idea if it is a stewer or caper!!  How do I tell?

Habanero Smoker

Capons are rosters that have been "fixed" (I find it difficult to say the other word [V]), so that more of it's hormones go into developing muscle. The most distinctive part of a capon is it's breast, after butchering they almost look like miniature turkeys. They have huge breast, more fat is distributed through out the meat, and are very flavorable. You may not even need to brine them, but brining would only improve their flavor. They are usually less then 8 months old.

Stewing chickens  are more then 10 months old, although the meat is considered flavorable, it is tough. These are usually chickens that have been used for laying eggs, and are no longer productive.

If by looking at the breast you still cannot tell for sure, I would ask the farmer where you purchased the chickens. I need to restate, I did not say you can not smoke a stewing chicken, I'm just not sure - I've just never tried it.

http://www.hormel.com/templates/knowledge/knowledge.asp?catitemid=24&id=156
I should add that the pictures comparing the chickens at this site, seem to be misleading. I only bought capons two or three times in my life, and I remember them being larger in size then a roaster.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MallardWacker

I have done chickens whole, spatchedcocked and just plain cut in half.  Typically after I pull the birds after they are done they get at a minimum cut in half any way.  My sugestion is to cut them in half to make it easier.

The last couple of times I have done yard bird I have injected them.  They seem to take to injection quite well.  I have also put soften butter-garlic and herbs under the skin.  That works well also.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">we just got some from a farm....Problem is that they are huge. The are all around 8-9 pounds.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

These are not Capons. No farmer in his correct mind sells 8 pound  Capons. Next we use Capons instead of turkey. They have some of the same flavoring of a turkey where as no chicken I ever ate did. I just about bet they are mature hens who were at the end of their laying cycle. (Chez don't even go here. Get your mind out of <b>your</b> generator!!)

May I strongly--strongly suggest you put them on the back burner and go get some friers for this event. You will learn from that and then when it is only you and your family try one of these larger hens.

Or better yet go get a boston butt (pork) bone it out--split it into 2 pieces and smoke it four hours (Pecan is good) and then continue in the Bradley until you get to 180F (slicing pork) to 225F (pork for pulling.)  A butt is fool proof [:D][:D][:D] You will come out a hero with it~~!

If you want slicing then pull the butt at 170-175 F and wrap it in foil, a big towel and place it into an ice chest for 1-2 hours. Before you wrap it in anything add a few ounce of apple juice to it. If you want pulled pork then do this when the pork is 215-220F. You will be a dinner cooking fool~~~[^]

This past Christmas I did a few butts. Sliced them up. Place them into bags, put a lable on them that said Merry Christmas from Raye and Susan and gave them to my friends. I picked smokin" the butt because you cannot screw it up~~!

Several friends, who have asked me for more, I have replied: "Next Christmas when you bring the lobster"~~LOL!!!

Play it safe and do one or two Boston Butts. Play with these larger chickens when you can throw them out or grind them up into your egg salad (Ummm good) and say to yourself (without egg on your face) I've got more to learn. Sounds like this event is to important to your wife to be messing around with unknowns.

Store purchased Cattleman's BBQ sauce (regular--not their smokey &lt;---Yuck! ) is a great sauce to side dress this with a good dill type pickle on a lighty steamed bun.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

BigSmoker

I agree with Olds 100%.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 32incheye</i>
<br />I have no idea if it is a stewer or caper!!  How do I tell?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just curious. Did you find out what type of chickens these are. You got me thinking about what the outcome will be if one smoked a stewing chicken. I think I will attempt this, the worse that could happen is that I end up with a lot of chicken salad [:D].

Good luck with the out-laws. Have you decided on a menu?

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MallardWacker

Kris,

I have been following this thread and everytime I read this thread about "Big Chickens" and you mentioned "In-Laws" in the same breath.  My mind does do a little association process that I should be ashamed about.  However I will keep my mouth shut.  Shut is good a good thing.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...