Second attempt at ribs

Started by Montcoyote, January 31, 2010, 08:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montcoyote

So my first attempt were with some elk ribs...turned out dry, very tough, and tasted like an ashtray. I read and learned on this site and gave a try on some sockeye fillets. They were amazing (thanks for the help on the fish side of thnigs).

So now a run at spareribs. It was only 20 degrees and wind blowing, so the second element and Auber PID (hats off to this site again) came in handy!

[imghttp://s872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/montcoyote/?action=view&current=028.jpg&newest=1]http://[/img]

I used a rub from this site, with a few changes. Used mustard and rub on half of the ribs.

Smoked with Hickory and apple for 3 hours.

Foiled with a splash of juice for two hours. When I opened up one of the packs, the meat had not pulled back...and based on other threads I had read, I threw 'em back in for another 30 minutes and rotated the racks. After the additional time, I opened up the foil packs and two of the four had pulled back. The other ones had bones slipping, so I figured I had gone plenty long.

Back in with some sauce...

Pretty darn good! Thanks for keeping up this incredible resource!

Montcoyote

Sorry about the photos...will probably be a second attempt at posting those on another post. I linked them from photobucket by pasting a shortcut...not sure why that didn't work.

Montcoyote

Another try at photos...

sauced in smoker:

finished ribs:

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Montcoyote on January 31, 2010, 08:22:07 AM
So my first attempt were with some elk ribs...turned out dry, very tough, and tasted like an ashtray. I read and learned on this site and gave a try on some sockeye fillets. They were amazing (thanks for the help on the fish side of thnigs).

So now a run at spareribs. It was only 20 degrees and wind blowing, so the second element and Auber PID (hats off to this site again) came in handy!

I used a rub from this site, with a few changes. Used mustard and rub on half of the ribs.

Smoked with Hickory and apple for 3 hours.

Foiled with a splash of juice for two hours. When I opened up one of the packs, the meat had not pulled back...and based on other threads I had read, I threw 'em back in for another 30 minutes and rotated the racks. After the additional time, I opened up the foil packs and two of the four had pulled back. The other ones had bones slipping, so I figured I had gone plenty long.

Back in with some sauce...

Pretty darn good! Thanks for keeping up this incredible resource!

Sounds like they turned out good even without the pictures
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Kinda looks like you left your teeth in the meat there.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Montcoyote

I suppose there's a way to trim those out before I start?

Tenpoint5

Nope and why would you want to there's a lot of good eats right there IMHO

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dbondy

Sure looks good Montcoyote. ;D

MPTubbs

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 31, 2010, 09:08:11 AM
Nope and why would you want to there's a lot of good eats right there IMHO

Right on 10.5!

Take a bite out of that rib and spit out what you don't want on the ground!

;D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

mow_delon

I made my first solo attempt at ribs on Saturday, too.  Had two racks of spareribs and a rack of baby backs.  Followed the 3-2-2 method and the spares turned out amazing.  The baby backs, however were unbelieveable!  I don't think I will ever buy spare ribs again, the baby backs were that much better!  I don't think I will ever use my grill for anything ever again, just the Bradley.

pfowl01

QuoteFollowed the 3-2-2 method     
What is the 3-2-2 method?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: pfowl01 on February 01, 2010, 09:27:01 AM
QuoteFollowed the 3-2-2 method     
What is the 3-2-2 method?
3 hours of smoke
2 hours wrapped in foil
2 hours with sauce to firm back up and set the sauce

pfowl01

Quote2 hours with sauce to firm back up and set the sauce             
Is this in the smoker or oven?

Tenpoint5

Smoker

BTW
Did you get the PM I sent?

seemore