Another Pancetta

Started by ExpatCanadian, January 27, 2010, 05:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExpatCanadian

Believe me, I've been watching it quite closely today  :)

It did warm up slightly during the day, but at this time of year the sun doesn't directly hit it, and ambient temperature outside is staying under 10oC during the day.  The warmest it got today in the conservatory was just over 12oC, and it's back down to 10(ish) now.  Humidity is fluctuating between 65-70%....  so perfect IMHO.

As long as we don't have a warm streak in the next couple weeks, I'll be ok.

ExpatCanadian

Well today marked the 2 week point since I hung the pancetta up to dry.  It felt nice and firm on the outside, but still fairly soft in the middle....  but I figured it was time to get it down regardless.  In the past couple days it has just started to get a little bit of white mold on it, which I understand to be a good thing.....  but still, mold makes me a little nervous no matter what!

Anyway, a few final pics to close this thread off.  I fried up a slice and it was REALLY good.  Nothing at all like the bacon I smoked the other week...  totally different flavour but amazing.

It's now been vac sealed and is in the fridge for a couple of days to help even out the moisture content.  At the moment it's quite dry on the outside and fairly moist still in the middle.  Then I'll probably slice half of it and portion it up in vac bags and leave the other half as a chunk to slice as I need it.

OU812

Caneyscud

ExPat, that gets an A+ in my book.  Hope it tastes as good as it looks.  Don't worry about mold - something called country hams around here that don't get really good until aged at least a year.  Talk about looking kinda funky!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D  Surprised I haven't died from some of them!  Something to be said about a cast iron stomach seasoned and hardened by decades of jalepenos!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

ExPat that looks really tasty. Wish I had some right now.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

This does look really good, and your bacon if perfectly fine.

Generally white mold is good, but I later learned not always the case. Using salt water or vinegar to wash away some mold is perfectly alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

oakville smoker

Looks damn good
GREAT job !
I have two curing in the fridge right now
I want to take mine to the point where it dries out on the inside and the its more of a cold cut than a bacon
The curing process is supposed to be complete Sunday then the drying process starts
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?