Brisket Temperature Question

Started by oakrdrzfan, January 30, 2010, 09:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakrdrzfan

I have a 13# brisket in my smoker and have a question regarding temperature.  The temperature in the flat is 190 at the skinny end and the temperature is 182 at the point end.  Is pulling it out now ok and doing FTC for 4 hours or should I go until the temperature is higher in the point end.

This is my second brisket and my first one wasnt the best as i overcooked it due to it being on the bottom rack with pork butts on the top.  Tried to do too much.

Thanks in advance.

FLBentRider

I think it will be ok leaving it in - If the probe goes in both ends just as easy I would do a fork test and maybe pull it out now if it seems tender enough.

How long has it been in the smoker ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakrdrzfan

It has been in for 15.5 hours which seems quick for a 13# brisket, but the temperature has been pretty steady at 220 to 225.  MY PID is at 220 above the brisket and my maverick is at 227 below the brisket.

I will try the fork test. 

Pachanga

I would agree with FLBentRider.

I measure the IT in the middle of the flat (not the very end of the flat but the thicker part of the flat about 1/3 of the way up the brisket) but the real test is fork or probe tender.  The brisket will tell you when it is ready.  If you think the outside is drying out and the interior is not ready, mop it with room temperature mop.  This will cool the outside and moisten it up while the interior is still heating up from hangover heat.

The probe should go in like inserting into soft butter or the meat strands should break apart easily at the flat when a fork is inserted and twisted.   Most of my briskets come out between 190 and 195.  Disregard the point temperature.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachaga