Whole Hog

Started by Ka Honu, January 28, 2010, 02:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

savannahsmoker posted this link on another forum.  It's an excellent film on smoking whole hogs, west-Tennessee style.  Check it out here (and bring a beer or two - it's 40 minutes long).

monty

i just finished this - thanks for posting

pretty inspirational video. all those guys seem real passionate about what they do, and their methods of doing it.
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

Caneyscud

Whole hogs guys are a completely different group than the rest of barbecuedom.  Around here in middle TN, it is usually grizzled old pros with lots of experience under their belt.  Some are good, and some, I'm surprised haven't killed people with some sort of food poisoning.  I've had some that where it is like heaven in our mouth with it succulence, and others where I'm asking myself why did they go to the trouble. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Roadking

Good video. Very informative.

pfowl01

WOW.....with all due respect.................some of those people might qualify as REDNECKS.

Pachanga

Ka Honu,

I don't know who I worry about more.  The rednecks that run the pit, the guy who posts it up (savannahsmoker / Ka Honu) and has watched it, the guy who watches it all the way through or the redneck who writes up some quotes and encourages people to take the time to watch it.

Well, anyway, here's some quotes:

It is a strange industry with strange people.

I've taken these fellers a nice shoulder or a butt and say, try this.  They throw it away.  Their insulted because they think you are telling them that there is something better than their barbeque and they think their is no improvement on what they are doing.

I got into it with my daddy because he was whoppin' up on my momma so I took a baseball bat to him.  When I got home my clothes were on the front porch.  I went to live and work for Mr. Scott cooking hogs the next day.  (he was 16 at the time)

Well, his daddy was mostly drunk so I took him in.  He's been here ever since and I suspect he'll be here till he dies.

Six days a week I get home at 2 in the morning and go back at 6.  My wife says I'm more married to this than her and my kids.  The way it is, is that I would rather give a man a hundred dollar bill and him walk out of my door happy than be mad because he didn't like my sandwich and a sandwich is just $2.95. That's just the way it is.

I think people need to know where their meat comes from. Most people go down to the local Kroger or Walmart and they buy a piece of meat.  They don't have no idea where that meat came from.  They think it was raised on that shelf.

We shoot 'em with a 22.  That way we know their dead.  There's no question.

I saw him one day and he had smoke and soot and fat all over him.  I said "what have you been doin?'"
Answer "I've been barbequing."

The smoke's worse than cigarettes.  I had to go down to the hospital one time and get a little air.  After that I was ready to give it another go.

Ya know, you've got a fire inside a building.  Insurance companies don't want much of that.   I think the way it is handled is they just build back. (after their shack burns)

(fireman) When it's burning down, it smells good.  It smells just like barbeque.  But it does ruin the meat.

I've got to go now, I'm going to watch it again.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

Halifax Aussie

My god as a Chef and food safety teacher this video of "Redneck BBQ "  blew me away ,I mean dirty pits  loading the hogs on non refrigerated trucks ,sticking finger to test to see if its cooked ,smoking cigarettes in the pit, man I could go on and on !

How many cases of food poisoning has they got away with. You can still cook with those methods and do it safe.

Give me a Bradley pulled pork with Bradley bacon on char grilled on sourdough bread any day !
In 1992, Newfoundland scientists discovered that Bacon was made from pigs.