• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Loin, first in new OBS

Started by mbetz, January 29, 2010, 07:20:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbetz

Well I took the day off work to get some things done around the house.  So I thought since I am home might as well smoke something.  Today I am doing a 9 lb pork loin that I have split in two.  This will be the first time I have smoked a pork loin in my new OBS.  I also have another first today also.  Today is also my first smoke since receiving my PID.

To give you an idea of my conditions.  The current outside temperature is 14 deg. without wind chill.  With the wind chill it feels like 1 deg.  I currently have my OBS in an outside storage box that is keeping it out of the wind.  I believe this should help.

I preheated my OBS for an hour at 250 deg.  When I added the meat the smoker temp fell to 144 deg.  So far it has been 15 minuets and the tower temp has recovered 40 degrees.

Today I am going to smoke these pork loins at 225 degrees till I reach an IT of 160 deg.  I plan on slicing these for lunch for the next couple of week after we eat off of one for supper once.

I applied my dry rub last night and took them out of the refrigerator this morning about an hour before I placed them into the smoker.  The dry rub is a KC style rube I found on the internet about 4-5 years ago and have been using it ever since.  Well enough talking.  Here is a picture of the loins after I took them out of the refrigerator this morning.

MPTubbs

I like what I see!

WOW 40* recovery in 15 min. is damn good.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

FLBentRider

Looks good so far.

I would only take it to an IT of 140-145F, I took a pork loin to 160F and it was a little on the dry side.

Maybe compromise on 150F ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 29, 2010, 07:27:53 AM
Looks good so far.

I would only take it to an IT of 140-145F, I took a pork loin to 160F and it was a little on the dry side.

Maybe compromise on 150F ?

Ditto!   I done a few loins for others.   Since they where going to reheat them in the oven, I only took the loins to just over 141F so they were 'safe'.

If you don't mind, share the rub recipe when you get a chance.

OU812

Sounds like you have fun day ahead of you.

I would take the loin out when the IT hits 145 F if you go to 160 F it will be dry.

Keep an eye on that baby loin cooks rather fast, bout 4 to 5 hr.

Good luck and keep us posted.

mbetz

Thanks All.  This is the first time I have cook the pork loins with a meat thermometer.  In the past with my old propane smoker I just when by temp and time.  I will take everyone suggestion and pull it at 145 deg.

Here is the Rub recipe.  I guess it was longer that what I thought.  My print out is from 2003.

Dry Rub (yields 2 cups)
1 C sugar
1/2 C paprika
1/4 C Kosher salt
1/4 C celery salt
3 tbsp onion powder
3 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp Cumin
2 tbsp black pepper
2 tsp dried mustard powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper

My family love this stuff.

The temp recovery is starting to slow down now.  It is up to 206 degrees now in about 40 min.  So a 62 degree rise so far.

mbetz

The loins came out of the smoker at 3PM.  There now currently wrapped up and resting in the cooler.  I was getting a pretty big temp swing with my PID.  I am now currently running the auto tune process.  I will take some pictures of one of them when I slice it up for supper.

ArnieM

Looks good mbetz.  Love to see the final pics.  I just picked up a 9.5 pound pork loin yesterday.  It turned into Canadian bacon, four thick chops, eight thin sliced cutlets and a roast.

My OBS has never seen 250, even in the summer - with the sun shining - and no wind.

Thanks for the rub recipe  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

mbetz

Here are the final pictures.  Half will be eaten this week and the other half the week after.

OU812

Now that looks GREAT, nice and moist with a good bark.

Dont get any better than that.

squirtthecat

NICE!

I'll be right over...   Gimme 90 minutes to get there.   I'll bring some cold beer.

MPTubbs

I absolutely don't see anything wrong with those photos.

Good job mbetz!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

mbetz

Thanks everyone.  I think I am starting to get use to the OBS.  It is different than cookin on my old propane smoker that I have been using for the past 7 years.

Roadking

Quote from: mbetz on January 29, 2010, 07:20:56 AM
Well I took the day off work to get some things done around the house.  So I thought since I am home might as well smoke something.  Today I am doing a 9 lb pork loin that I have split in two.  This will be the first time I have smoked a pork loin in my new OBS.  I also have another first today also.  Today is also my first smoke since receiving my PID.

Ah come on this is the Bradley Smoker Forum. First of all nobody, I mean nobody takes the day off to get things done around the house. Unless your totally hen pecked and I know your not. Tell the truth, you took the day off to play with your smoker, now doesn't that sound more believeable.   ;D

Your end product looks mouth watering. Great job.

squirtthecat

Most importantly - how did it taste??