not using water when doing jerky

Started by smokeinmyeyes, January 28, 2010, 10:28:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeinmyeyes

Well being a newbie and wanting to do some jerky I been reading recipes and stuff for a week waiting for the DBS to get here. But now I have a question.....There was a post I read a week or so ago where someone had a problem with his meat smelling like burnt rubber. Ended up being the door seals. One of you experts diagnosed the problem as having no water in the bowl and a fire started with the smoldering biscuits which overheated the rubber door seal.  In reading the recipe for jerky on the Bradley site, they say to smoke with no water in the pan. Sounds like a problem brewing here. I don't want a fire in my nice new shiny smoker so whats your take on no water when smoking jerky?
Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous
                                                         Hobbes

FLBentRider

Most people only put an hour or less of smoke on jerky, so the risk of fire with only three pucks is minimal.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Dump the pan in a metal bucket with some water in it as soon as the smoke is done and put back empty.

Rotate the racks top to bottom and front to back at the same time.

Quarlow

I put water in the bowl till the smoke is done, then take the water, bowl out.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pfowl01

[quotI put water in the bowl till the smoke is done, then take the water, bowl out.e][/quote]
I do the same thing....got some going reight now ;D

smokeinmyeyes

Thanks guys, I get the picture now. The bradley recipes need to differentiate smoke time and cook time. The recipe calls for 6-8 hours of smoking. Evidently thats cook time and you smoke to taste. I was worried with 18-24 smoldering biscuits in the bowl, I'd be smoking and BBQing at the same time.
Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous
                                                         Hobbes

OU812

The longest smoke time I have used is 4 hr and thats on brisket and butt.

KevinG

I did use 3 hours of smoke on mine, and kept water in the bowl while smoking, and removed it after.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

pfowl01

I also have that recipe booklet....IMO not worth the money. You'll learn alot more on this forum! ;D