• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

SquirtTheCat your gonna love this

Started by BigJohnT, January 30, 2010, 06:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

Hey Squirt,

You know I've been helping Scott get his web site Scott's Place up and running for some time now and all the fun we had with the USPS rate thing. Now we have the new store up and running finally and shipping and everything works nice (Thanks again for all your help) so I tell Scott that I have a new hosting account that is better than GoDaddy and we should transfer his store from GoDaddy to my hosting site at WebHost4Life cause it is so much easier to deal with them and it won't cost him $5 a month. So I move the files over and we test it a bit and then I do a domain transfer from GoDaddy to WebHost4Life... I figure it will take an hour or so NOT! So I get this email next and casually read it but when I get 4a I can't believe it.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for purchasing domain transfer service with us.

Once our system receives your transfer request, the follow shall occur.

4. Once this confirmation has been submitted, we will send an official
domain transfer request to your current domain name registrar, the losing
registrar, and you will not need to do anything at this point unless your
current domain name registrar is with Godaddy, Inc.
4a. If your current domain name registrar is Godaddy, Inc, you will need
to log into your domain management area -> pending transfer and approve
the domain transfer request.  If you do not approve this pending transfer
request first, Godaddy will not review this domain transfer request at
all.

Can you believe that?

John

squirtthecat

D@mn!   I guess they don't want to lose any customers!

That's one (sneaky) way to hold on to them...

BigJohnT

I guess there the only one in the world that tries that trick!

JT

Tenpoint5

Hey Big John. Where has Scott been off to? Haven't heard from him or seen him post in quite a while. He getting busy at work and with the home business?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Quote from: BigJohnT on January 30, 2010, 06:12:55 AM
Hey Squirt,

You know I've been helping Scott get his web site Scott's Place up and running for some time now and all the fun we had with the USPS rate thing. Now we have the new store up and running finally and shipping and everything works nice (Thanks again for all your help) so I tell Scott that I have a new hosting account that is better than GoDaddy and we should transfer his store from GoDaddy to my hosting site at WebHost4Life cause it is so much easier to deal with them and it won't cost him $5 a month. So I move the files over and we test it a bit and then I do a domain transfer from GoDaddy to WebHost4Life... I figure it will take an hour or so NOT! So I get this email next and casually read it but when I get 4a I can't believe it.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for purchasing domain transfer service with us.

Once our system receives your transfer request, the follow shall occur.

4. Once this confirmation has been submitted, we will send an official
domain transfer request to your current domain name registrar, the losing
registrar, and you will not need to do anything at this point unless your
current domain name registrar is with Godaddy, Inc.
4a. If your current domain name registrar is Godaddy, Inc, you will need
to log into your domain management area -> pending transfer and approve
the domain transfer request.  If you do not approve this pending transfer
request first, Godaddy will not review this domain transfer request at
all.

Can you believe that?

John

I can, they do it to try to prevent transfer fraud.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BigJohnT

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 30, 2010, 06:41:53 AM
Hey Big John. Where has Scott been off to? Haven't heard from him or seen him post in quite a while. He getting busy at work and with the home business?

He has been pulling double duty at work, he is short one salesman so he has to make up the difference!
I don't know when he sleeps...

John

hal4uk

I register domains with namecheap.com...
I think they offer hosting, but I don't really care - I host with HostGator.

Point is, you can leave a domain registered with GoDaddy, and just point it to wherever you have a site hosted.
They don't have to be the same place.
Also, it used to take up to 48hrs for the IPs to "propagate", but nowadays, it's more like a couple of hours.
Another thing to think about.  If you have one domain now, that doesn't mean you might not want another later.
You might setup a site for a friend, or whatever.  You might have several domains someday.
I find it easier to keep all my domains (most are not used now, but they might be one day) registered at one place.
Depending on the type of websites, it can be necessary to host one on Apache and another on IIS.
Your "sites" could be scattered all over, and your domain registrations in one place.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

BigJohnT

Hey hal4uk,

Thanks for the info. For now I just put a redirect for http://smokeandstuff.com and that seems to work for now. Scott wants to close his account at GoDaddy that is why I'm moving the domain to the same place I have mine.

This has been a fun learning experience for sure.

John

Habanero Smoker

I agree with FLB. That is a secure measure to prevent fraud.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 30, 2010, 06:41:53 AM

I keep trying to get on here as much as possible.  The weeks have been getting a little long, its also a hard time of the year with a lot of out of town meetings. 

I am actually home this weekend so I am making a 10 lb batch of jerky for the kids....yum. 

Off to Chicago very early on Monday.  I wave to the Springfield, IL boys on the way past in the morning and again late the same night.

Oh and 10.5 I am going to call you back right after dinner....after I finished up with the pinewood derby I got tied up on a couple of things.  My Tiger Cub came home with 2 trophy's....He was pretty proud, I will try and post a picture later.

SIA

Tenpoint5

Put that car in the mail and send it up here then I don't have to make as many of them. I have to make three of the dang things. Two scouts and a Den Leader/Pack Master.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tiny Tim

Please post pics.  If I can find them, I'll post pics of the 3 cars I've built (2 as a Cub Scout, the other just a few years ago for a NAPA deal).

lumpy

Nice new web site guys!
But I'm still waiting for my tube, just kidding! Betcha its stuck somewhere at Canada customs. Some bean counter thinks its some kinda weapon for the 3rd world. LOL

I like the fact that I can use a CC on your site since I do not use pay pal.

Keep up the great work!

Lumpy

BigJohnT

Thanks Lumpy, I think Sargent York is inspecting it now...

JT

squirtthecat

SIA, we'll wave back!

I'm usually on the road heading up I-55 about 5:50AM..    Look for a white Sebring with someone asleep at the wheel.  :D