Ok, here is a very stupid question about ribs

Started by SmokinMoe, April 07, 2005, 02:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinMoe

I have been following the rib threads and the rib rack threads and am totally clueless here. LOL
WHY do you need your ribs hanging or stacked?  Is it just to get more in the Bradley or is there a reason for it other than that?
Thought I would ask before I tried to make ribs.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

oguard

It is to get more ribs in the bradley,I have done ribs right on the racks with some cheap bacon on the top rack and they turned out great.[:D]

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

nsxbill

I just did five racks of BB ribs cut in half and hung from sausage rack inside.  

Upside:
No shelf cleanup.  
No rotating shelves.
Not exposed to heat in lower portion of smoker.

Downside:
Can't easily bard with bacon or put above to drip down.

Worked well...tasted great.  Very tender.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

Moe,

Who ever said this (and I would to love to give the guy credit) "ribs are a adventure" could of not said it be better.  I too am looking at hanging.  I does make sense but however I still would try the old rack way, even to start to see what happends, you can sill get good results.

Also to everyone, has anyone tried those rib stackers type things where you put the ribs on their sides??

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Chez Bubba

Moe,

You've been around long enough to know there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers! 90% of which I provide myself![:D][:D][:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

nsxbill

At one point, I said ribs are a journey, and many roads to get you where you want to be.  Obvioulsy it will be "Good Rib City,"  but sometimes they end up too spicy, too tough, etc.  Whether you use a rib rack, lay flat, or hang them, you have to pay attention to them.  LIke being in love...you have to respond to their needs.  A little more temp - a little less - a little more sauce-- let them alone --all come into play.  (Sounds almost like a paperback novel- a nighty nite reader).

What I do is cook them slowly...don't rush them.  

Something new every time. Don't believe it does any good to smoke them after they are done.  Did the wrap them up with foil last time with some sauce on top.  They were great.  

Try the Revio   I did about 9.5 lbs 1/2 at a time to marinade after then were in the fridge with rub for about 12 hrs.  Some more Pappys, and onto the hooks where they just hung around for about 6 hrs.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SmokinMoe

Ok, has anyone smoked them first and then sauced and wrapped in foil to cook the rest of the time?  I think it would help with the moisture problem but it would take longer to cook.  Would that be something that is do-ible?  (is that even a word LOL)
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

nsxbill

Sure Moe,

That is doable (This is a word).  I just have the control of the "pit" with my Bradley/Guru..no control in the oven.  Last ribs, as I said previously spent about 6-7 hrs in the smoker, then wrapped in foil with sauce on top.  I heated them up in the oven at about 275 for an hour, and they were to die for.  You just have to find that groove.  Many approaches work well.  Some don't use any sauce, just rub. I like them all sticky and carmelized on the outside. That's where the Coca Cola Syrup as part of my marinade came to play. It imparts great flavor, and is concentrated, and you don't have to wait until it goes flat.

Bill

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />Ok, has anyone smoked them first and then sauced and wrapped in foil to cook the rest of the time?  I think it would help with the moisture problem but it would take longer to cook.  Would that be something that is do-ible?  (is that even a word LOL)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I gave this a try.  Smoked the ribs at ambient for 3 hrs.  Temp needle read just over 150f the entire cook.  Removed from smoker wrapped in foil and in the oven(back in the Bradley would have been fine too)at 235f for 2 hrs then on the BGE(350f) for 30 minutes brushing with sauce every 10 minutes.  The best ribs in a long time.  I definitely endorse this method.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

psdubl07

For all you using racks, don't you find the ribs at the bottom (nearest the heating element) are more done than the ones at the top?