• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Super Bowl Butt

Started by oakville smoker, February 01, 2010, 09:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I  think I have bought almost a whole pig in the last 3 weeks  LOL
Butts and legs at 79 cents per pound, hard to say no
I picked up another, New York Cut with picnic on
Picnic is going to become salami and breakfast sausage
Shoulder will be going to the smoker

I have to plan for this to be ready on Sunday at 5
I want to inject and then rub, let it get happy for a day or 2 in the fridge
Any suggestions on an injection?  It has to be very fluid like as my injector does not  like even the smallest solids

Saturday I will make some bbq sauce for this.  It will be awesome by Sunday
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

seemore

We will be waiting for posts AND pictures!!!
Mrs S

OU812

The last one I did I injected with CT and it was great.

You got a coffee grinder you dont ever to use for coffee again? You can take the rub that your goin to put on the outside and turn it into powder and mix with unsalted butter till you can push it through the needle.

classicrockgriller

I like Tony Chachere's "Creole Butter" or Cajun Injector's "Creole Butter".

You can make your own with butter and grind the spices fine, warm up on

stove top to dissolve and let it cool back down before injecting it.

Ka Honu

Quote from: OU812 on February 01, 2010, 11:50:20 AM...You got a coffee grinder you dont ever to use for coffee again? You can take the rub that your goin to put on the outside and turn it into powder and mix with unsalted butter till you can push it through the needle.

You can actually use your regular (blade-style) coffee grinder and clean it by wiping it out and using it to make bread crumbs before going back to coffee.

oakville smoker

Hmmmm
So many choices, so little time
No CT in this neck of the woods
Thinking creole butter injection

24 or 48 hours for aging?  Can I go 48 and then the rub?
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: oakville smoker on February 01, 2010, 05:33:16 PM
Hmmmm
So many choices, so little time
No CT in this neck of the woods
Thinking creole butter injection

24 or 48 hours for aging?  Can I go 48 and then the rub?

I have. Don't see a reason why not.

oakville smoker

48 hours it will be
OK OS, start counting backwards from Sunday    ::)

SnellySmokesEm

OS - when are you starting your smoke?  I am also doing a 10lb butt.  I will be starting the smoke friday nite around 8:00.  Please share pics.  I will have be doing a pictorial as well.  Good Luck!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

oakville smoker

Snelly

I think I will start my smoke early Saturday morning
The injection should happen tomorrow or Thursday night
i will be sure to crank some pics along the way

If it gets cold here, I might have to finish mine in the crock pot over night but its not the end of the world

SnellySmokesEm

OS - I have finished in the crock pot as well and life the end result.  The only reason I am Starting mine friday nite is because I am starting my brisket sat nite.  I am going to brine my butt for 24 hours before the smoke.
BBQ Evangelist

oakville smoker

Snell

Are you going to brine and inject?
Never thought about brining a butt
What brine are you going to use

I sense inspiration on the horizon

FLBentRider

Quote from: oakville smoker on February 02, 2010, 07:48:06 AM
Snell

Are you going to brine and inject?
Never thought about brining a butt
What brine are you going to use

I sense inspiration on the horizon

When I brine butts - I use this:

# 8 ounces or 3/4 cup molasses
# 12 ounces pickling salt
# 2 quarts bottled water

That is per butt - I bring the water to a boil, dissolve the salt, add the molasses and let it cool to room temp. Then I put it in the garage fridge overnight.

The butts get a 24 hour dip in the brine.

Remove from brine - pat dry - add your rub - plastic wrap and rest in the fridge another 24 hours.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakville smoker

Thanks FLB
That sounds like a plan although I ay add an injection post brine, the a rub for 24 hours
This is going to be good....   I hope !

SnellySmokesEm

FLB has the brine recipe.  I have not brined a butt yet.  Batman of BBQ and I have been researching brined butts he actually brined one last week and had me over for dinner.  He brined his 4lb butt for 48hours in FLB's Brine.  He smoked it with Aldar pucks and FTC'd for 4 hours.  The pulled pork was great and I could definitely notice the salty taste from the brine.  I'm going to start the brine process Thursday nite.
BBQ Evangelist