Pepperoni more info please

Started by gizy-CA, February 25, 2010, 10:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizy-CA

hello...
need more info on how to smoke cook or combination of two..temperature time etc..
thank you
gizy

pensrock

When I do pepperoni, I buy Hormel brand in the big long sticks. Then I cut them to fit a Bradley rack. Then remove the casing and smoke for 2-3 hours. I normally do it when doing cheese so the temp would be around 85-90 F. I never tried to make my own pepperoni, which is normally not smoked.

NePaSmoKer

Easy pepperoni slim jims

8 lbs lean GB 90/10...............Higher number being meat/Lower being the fat content
1 lb pork butt
1 lb beef fat (i save my trimmed briskit fat for this)
5 T non iodized salt
2 level t cure #1
4 T dextrose
4 T corn syrup solids
2 T anise whole anise seed (not crushed)
3 T cayenne pepper
1 t allspice
2 t garlic granules
1 cup cold distilled water
1 cup non fat dry milk
19-20mm collagen casing or 32mm collagen

Grind meat with med plate. Combine all dry with the 1 cup of water, mix good into meat and re grind through med plate again. Stuff into 19-20mm collagen casings.
Hang or rack the sticks in your pre heated smoker at 130* for 1 hour (no smoke) until casings are dry to the touch. Bump heat to 150* with 2 pucks of pecan, hickory or alder. Bump to 160* with 2 more pucks. After this last smoke at 160 bump to 170* no smoke until you have a stick IT of 150-155*. Remove sticks and let shrivel at room temp for 2 hours. Cut to your desired lengths and put in a paper bag for 1 day in fridge. Vac seal or double wrap and freeze for 4 months.

This recipe can be reduced into a 5 pound batch.

gizy-CA

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 25, 2010, 02:41:47 PM
Easy pepperoni slim jims

8 lbs lean GB 90/10...............Higher number being meat/Lower being the fat content
1 lb pork butt
1 lb beef fat (i save my trimmed briskit fat for this)
5 T non iodized salt
2 level t cure #1
4 T dextrose
4 T corn syrup solids
2 T anise whole anise seed (not crushed)
3 T cayenne pepper
1 t allspice
2 t garlic granules
1 cup cold distilled water
1 cup non fat dry milk
19-20mm collagen casing or 32mm collagen

Grind meat with med plate. Combine all dry with the 1 cup of water, mix good into meat and re grind through med plate again. Stuff into 19-20mm collagen casings.
Hang or rack the sticks in your pre heated smoker at 130* for 1 hour (no smoke) until casings are dry to the touch. Bump heat to 150* with 2 pucks of pecan, hickory or alder. Bump to 160* with 2 more pucks. After this last smoke at 160 bump to 170* no smoke until you have a stick IT of 150-155*. Remove sticks and let shrivel at room temp for 2 hours. Cut to your desired lengths and put in a paper bag for 1 day in fridge. Vac seal or double wrap and freeze for 4 months.

This recipe can be reduced into a 5 pound batch.

*****This is it...what i was looking for...will try this next week...
thank you smoke much..:)
gizy

leftcoast smoker

check out the recipe site, Greg's spicey beef sticks is always a winner here
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=648