Need advice from experienced smokers.

Started by bamabuzzard, February 23, 2004, 04:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamabuzzard

My dad just gave me a new braunfels upright water smoker. I am a "new smoker" and need some advise from some experienced smokers.

I have been attempting my hand at smoking a 4.5lb slab of pork ribs.
I use lump charcoal as my heat and use soaked pecan wood for my smoke. My water is above my heat and then my racks are above that.

I'm having a problem with the outside of my meat being overcooked and the inside being under cooked. I can keep a consistent heat of 200-220 degrees F through out my smoking time. I've tried everything I know (which isn't much) and can't find the solution. Any suggestions (other than buying a bradley smoker)[:D] This was a gift from my dad so I can't complain. Please help.

Fuzzybear

Prior to my Bradley, I had a canister style electric smoker - same set up as yours it sounds like....

Heating element/wood on the bottom, water bowl above that, 3 racks above that....

I've always used the top rack and left the vents open - closer to the bottom got cooked way to fast for me.

After my experience with the Bradley, quite honestly, I'd have to say those cannisters are poor at best...thin walled, no insulation

Perhaps you can thank pops and ask if he would mind if you took it back and got a refund and used that towards a Bradley..Chez Bubba can make things work for you there!

Good luck on whatever you decide![;)]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

What Fuzzybear said.

There's a reason most people "graduate" from those things. I always liked the fine coating of ash the food got when you lifted the top cover. Blech!

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Kirk:  

Did you say "ash" - mine was more like flaky creosote!

The Bradley has a nice soft brown tinge on the inside - not black and burned looking - do you suppose that's why they paint those things black?  

And the raunchy flavor it imparted to the meat!  Blech is correct!

Just not good quality - it's like they made them to be disposable (if they are cheap, they will sell but not last but that's ok cuz they'll come back and buy another one and another one until you wished you got a Bradley and find yourself saying "why didn't I do this in the first place!)  

Ok...my 2cents worth is over...I'm never going back!

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

trout

I don't believe the barrel type smoker is such a bad thing to start out with.  It gives you good practice at heat control and venting.  After a time if you get into it enough, then you can feel better about spending the money to get a higher end smoker.  Lump charcoal burns very hot, you might want to use charcoal or keep the lower vent closed down some to keep the fire from getting too hot.  You will want to keep the upper vent pretty open to prevent the soot buildup that the others speak of.  As far as the ribs, I would be pretty sure that the temp where they are sitting is more like 300 or maybe higher. Some of the temp gauges that come with those smokers are not the best.  Try shooting for a lower temp, or smoking something with more fat to keep it moist like a butt, or brisket.[^]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

Chez Bubba

Trout,

The biggest thing I have against the cheap watersmokers is there <b>is no way</b> to control the heat, other than by how much fuel you introduce. You can't regulate the airflow.

I do agree though, it's a good first-timer approach, especially if they're not really sure if they even like it in the first place. I just hope they don't judge smoked food as a whole on the results of that unit type. If they end up liking it, they'll move up to another unit.

I did find a very good use for mine. It can make a huge bunch of corn on the cob, steamed in the husk for parties.[:)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?