• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Drying cupboard (inspired by Habs)

Started by teach, February 08, 2010, 11:43:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teach

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 23, 2010, 02:06:41 PM
Quote from: teach on February 23, 2010, 04:59:46 AM
Thanks Habs

Didn't think about the air pockets.  I will have a go at spinning them and tying them afetr the hot phase.  The sides have small pockets of air but i was hoping that these would shrink during the drying phase?  What do you recon?  I was planning on smoking half of the chorizo after the fermentation phase just to add some extra flavor.

You don't see this tip often, but it is recommended that you prick the sausage all over especially on the air pockets. This helps with two things; one it helps release the air in the air pockets, and secondly it helps moisture to escape. I use a sausage pricker, but NePas uses a corn cob holder. Make sure you sterilize the pricker prior to using it by either dipping in boiling water, or in rubbing alcohol prior to using.

Thanks for the tip.  The warm Phase finishes on Thursday evening so I am going to try what you have suggested then.  I will let you know how I get on.  I am on a steep learning curve at the moment so any helpful tips are greatfully received.

Habanero Smoker

I understand about the learning curve. No matter how much your prepare, that first run can be full of unexpected events.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

oakville smoker

I use a corn cob pricker as well
I have not found a sausage pricker yet
But I remember my ex's father the butcher making this and me doing it so I figured it was the right thing to do
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

mski

WOW I thought my chamber was clever, That is a class act I'm impressed !
I agree you MUST get those air pockets out, did you use starter culture?
Keep us posted on how this goes, I can't wait to see the ham
NePa there is different types of Chorizo from fresh ( Mexican ) to fermented and dry cured like spanish.

teach

Chorizo is now 6 days old and some mold is starting to grow on the outside.  Mostly small white patches which I assume is normal.  Does anyone know what the stages of mold growth is and waht types are safe and which should be wiped off?

ArnieM

Dry, white powdery stuff is OK, maybe even good.  Blue/green fuzzy stuff is NG and has to be removed.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

As Arnie has stated white dry powdery mold is good, there are some white molds that are not, they are fuzzy molds and sometimes it is hard to tell the two apart in the early stages. Any fuzzy mold is not good, regardless of color.

The stage of mold growth depend on the humidity, the higher the humidity, the more likely you will have bad mold growing. If you can keep the humidity If it is the good white mold it will inhibit harmful mold from growing. When in doubt you can wipe the sausage with either white vinegar or a brine solution (1/4 cup pickling or canning salt per quart of water).

Here is a quick guideline about mold.

Mold Development
You may need to scroll down a little.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

mski

If I don't want mold I wipe it off with vinegar rag , like said earlier might be too high humidity. At 3 days fermenting should be done ( PH check )  and lower humidity to 80 - 85 % for drying to final weight loss. Store at 70 - 75%
Thats what  my recipies call for.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: mski on February 28, 2010, 01:28:02 PM
If I don't want mold I wipe it off with vinegar rag , like said earlier might be too high humidity. At 3 days fermenting should be done ( PH check )  and lower humidity to 80 - 85 % for drying to final weight loss. Store at 70 - 75%
Thats what  my recipies call for.

Most of my recipes call for drying at 55% - 65% humidity, after fermenting. How are you checking the pH? Do you have a source for a relatively inexpensive pH meter with a probe? I've tried the pH strips but they require you to take a sample of the sausage, mix it with distilled water, then dip the strip in. That not too practical for me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

mski

I get the Hanna strips / roll . 4.5 - 7.5 in .5 incraments  and 3.9 v- 5.7 in .3 incraments.
I twist a small link for testing , mix 1 part meat to 2 parts distilled water and check, I use a little brass tube to pull out some meat, a meter would be nice, I have a glass bulb meter I used for brewing but its a pain to keep clean and calibrated if not using clear liquids, even milk clogs it while cheesemaking.
If you are color blind in the least bit you will need someone to read them. They seem to work , especally signaling when the PH stops dropping.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the information. I have the strips, I'll continue to look for an inexpensive pH meter with a probe.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

West Coast Kansan

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

teach

Progress update

Decided to was the ham and the chorizo in brine and now look much better.  I have come to the decision that the very small dehumidifier I have installed is too small for the job but I have put a large humidifier outside the fridge with the door slightlty open which is doing the trick and maintaining between 65 and 75% humidity.  Temp seems to be maintaing a constant 15deg C.

Will update with photos soon.  They look really tasty already.  Thanks for the continued advice.

Habanero Smoker

I was really surprised as too how much moisture is given off by the sausages. I still haven't given my dehumidifier a test yet.  Keep us posted.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

teach

I know, it has been amazing how much is being extracted.  In my opinion dehumidifiers that use Peltier or thermo electric technology are not up to the job.  Especially where I am which is Cornwall England.  We are very humid all year round here so the ambient humidity is very high.  I will be changing mine after this batch.  On the positive side the control system, header and humidifier are working very well.