HOMEMADE CHIPOTLES!

Started by SoupGuy, April 06, 2005, 08:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SueBn

Oh - heart be still[:X][:X]
Not only is this the best smoking forum - but horticulture too???!  After reading this, I am anxiously awaiting spring (what 8 months?) to take another stab at my pepper patch which is sadly neglected[V]
] Thanks for the tips[:)][:)][:)]

By the way, how do you download pictures?  
Thanks for all the time given to this site; it is truely appreciated!
 Sue<i></i>

Sue

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">That would be great if you could post the plans.

Thanks<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I'm going to post them on the off topic board. <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">By the way, how do you download pictures?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">If you mean you wish to copy them to your hard drive then just right click on the image and  then left click on "Save As" or some wording close to that.

Olds

EDIT: Plans Posted <b>HERE</b>

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SoupGuy

If anyone would like some (free) powdered Chipotle and/or Habanero, I will gladly send you some. All I ask is that you send me a SASE.

E-mail me directly at [email protected] if you think you can put it to good use. I really have far too much to make use of this (and next) year. If I don't give it away, the wife says I can't have any more garden space for peppers next year. (NOT going to happen! So please! take me up!)

The Chipotle are hickory smoked home-grown jalapeno peppers- dried and ground down to a powder. Since I mixed reds with greens, grainy and shiny, I will rate the heat level at MED-HOT. Great in Chili or on Jerky.

The HABS are VERY VERY (VERY) HOT!. Again, I smoked them with hickory wood (a lot less than the JAPS), dehydrated and ground down to a powder. I have a few macho (always MEN) customers who brag about their tolerance/desire for heat. This stuff shut them right up!

Believe it or not, powdered HABANERO is excellent on ice-cream with peaches and cream! (just a pinch). It is also very tasty on homemade fried corn chips (corn tortilla fried in oil) if used with sugar and moderation.

If you make beef jerky, I highly recommend you try adding powdered Chipotle (HAB if you really like it HOT) to any recipe you use.

Just ask- I'll send some to you so long as it doesn't cost me anything!

Best known not for soup, but rather smoked meats... and stuff

SoupGuy

Did you know that Vidalia onions and Texas 10-14's are SWEET onions rather than hot because they are grown in LOW Sulpher soils?

Thought we were talking about peppers did you... :)

I grew 18 Habanero pepper plants this past year. 14 plants came from the seeds I bought over the internet and geminated myself (not easy) and the others were purchased as young plants from a roadside stand.

The wife ended up planting them all, but under my instructions to bury matches under SOME of them(pepperjoe.com advice). I wish I could say which plants got the matches and which did not, but since I did not supervise I couldn't say.

She said she put matches under half the plants, but (of course) doesnt remember which ones specifically.

RESULTS:

Two plants were 'runts' and late-bloomers. They did provide fruit, but for some reason later and smaller than the rest.

Near these two runts, half a dozen others thrived and grew taller and bushier. They produced a lot of healthy well-formed peppers.

The rest (opposite side of the garden- east) did well also. ALL were in FULL SUN and in a relatively high Ph soil. All recieved the same fertilization (10-10-10 chemical) and watering.

I can't say that the peppers grown over matches were hotter than the others simply sown into the soil... I don't know which were which and frankly I am not a fan of torch-mouth peppers anyway. I CAN say that 6 plants are still alive and have harvestable fruit on them while the others succumbed to the frost and wilted/dead and flat on the ground. I will be processing them this week.

A smoked Habanero, dehydrated, is a beautiful thing to see. I only wish they were not so NASTY FLAMING HOT.

I will try OLDS idea of using epsom salts next season. Not too thrilled with the ingredients of matches he posted here...

** Once last sage of advice-

Get yourself some premium vanilla ice cream (Ben & Jerry's/Hagen Daz/Breyers etc)... let it get soft and partially melted. Mix in a very small amount of Habanero (a tiny pinch) and cover with canned peaches with a little juice and some cream (1/2 & 1/2 or 'heavy/whipping'). Serve with wafer cookies and maybe a shot of HOT-DAMN (cinnamon), Creme de Menth (mint), Chambord Liqueur (raspberry), Grand Mariner (orange) or even Romana Samvca (liquorice/italian)... The heat of the pepper is greatly trempered by the sweetness of the creams for wimps like me, but most especially, the FLAVOR of the pepper really comes out and makes this a treat your guests will rant over!

Also, try substituting Manderine Oranges for the peaches and definately use Grand Mariner over the top. Apricots work well too.

Who knew a Habanero could be so tasty?!!!
[:p]

I serve the above after a meal of smoked pork tenderloin (backstaps) and it just compliments the meal in a great way!

TomG

Tried this twice using my BS and now it's a  frig. staple.

Home-Smoked Chipotle Chiles
·   chunks or logs of fragrant hardwood, preferably a combination of oak and mesquite
·   1 1/4 pounds red ripe jalapeno chiles, with stems
·   1/2 cup dried red New Mexico chile puree or commercial chile paste, such as Santa Cruz
·   1/3 cup water
·   2 tablespoons tomato paste
·   2 tablespoons cider vinegar
·   1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
·   1 clove fresh garlic, peeled and crushed
·   1/4 teaspoon salt
Prepare a smoker according to the manufacturer's directions, using the wood chunks and achieving a steady temperature of 275 to 300°. Place the chiles directly on the smoker rack (or use a shallow disposable foil pan) at the cooler end of the smoking chamber or on the upper rack if your smoker has one. Lower the cover and smoke the chiles for 2 1/2 hours, or until they are soft, brown, and slightly shriveled.
Remove the chipotles from the smoker. In a medium nonreactive saucepan, combine them with the chile puree, water, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and salt. Set over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring once or twice, until the sauce is very thick, about 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
Transfer the chipotles to a covered storage container and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before using. They can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 2 months.
Dried Chipotle Peppers: After removing the chiles from the smoker, place them on a rack and leave them, loosely covered, at room temperature, until crisp, light, and dry, 1 to 2 weeks, depending on the humidity. Store airtight at room temperature.
NOTES : Green jalapenos can be used, but red ones are more beautiful and have a deeper, sweeter flavor. Grow your own, or select chiles that are beginning to turn red; they will eventually ripen. (Those picked without any red at all in their peels will always remain green.)
Makes about 3 cups.
Recipe from "Burning Desires" - W. Park Kerr