Tri-tip

Started by ontheroadbbq, March 19, 2010, 01:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ontheroadbbq

Brand new to smoking, can anyone tell me the best way to smoke a 3lb tri-tip, ie;how long, seasoning and what's the best smoke to use??? 

oakrdrzfan

Not what you are looking for, but I find tri tip best in a marinade of your choice and then straight to the grill until 130 internal temperature.  It is plenty tender without low and slow. 

if you want a smoke flavor then put on the smoker with a few pucks and then finish on the grill.

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the Forum.

You might look at this.

JWG is a very fine smoker and knows his stuff so you might be able to adapt what you want from this.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14437.msg179195#msg179195

Paddlinpaul

For us uninitiated Canadians, what is a tri-tip?
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

Paddlinpaul

Like the brisket, it seems to be overlooked up here (for now!)
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on March 19, 2010, 08:19:15 PM

If tri-tip and brisket are the same price .... forget the brisket.

oakrdrzfan

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 19, 2010, 08:21:54 PM
Quote from: Paddlinpaul on March 19, 2010, 08:19:15 PM

If tri-tip and brisket are the same price .... forget the brisket.

Tri-tip used to be cheap like brisket, and then the word got out.  I used to get it all the time for $1.99/#, but now pay over 4 per #.  Marinated and on the grill is terrific!!!

JGW

Another good way for tri-tip...if you have a rotisserie for your grill....make a paste out of kosher salt and water and put a nice thick coat on it (I mean a good coat....1/8" or more) and set it up for a spin.  When it's done, take the salt crust off and serve with beans, salsa (make this fresh...jar stuff won't do anything...aim for something like pico de gallo) etc.  Amazing.