Yay, winters over......Tri Tip on the way

Started by JGW, February 14, 2010, 03:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGW

Well, I finally stopped traveling (on biz) and now that the rains have stopped...(at least while I am home)...

Temp is 67F right now, sun is out....so what to do?

Tri Tip, of course.  Just threw 2 on the smoker.  Rub:  salt, pepper, garlic powder.  Wood:  Oak  (almost a must for Tri Tip).

Planning on two hours smoke, 30 min rest.  Total cook time...maybe 3 hours.  Will have to see what the temps look like.

Hopefully, I don't forget to take some pictures.  Adult beverages are in play ;D

classicrockgriller

NePaSmoKer

YYSSW   :D

And supposed to get 8" more tomorrow  :'(

Pachanga

JGW,

Good to hear from you.  Now get that smoke rolling.

Pachanga

JGW

Well....

Got rushed getting everything else ready and forgot to take pictures.  Came out really good, and will probably be my default tri tip recipe, though I tend to use tri tip a lot for stir fries, etc.

seemore

Glad it turned out well, JGW!  I can only WISH that winter was over here in Iowa....
Mrs

ontheroadbbq

Hi, I just bought a smoker off of a friend who wasn't satisfied with it and I've always wanted one, although no instruction manual or cookbook, I want to do a Tri-tip and looking for some help, ie:cooking times, seasoning, and type of wood??  Hope you can help me out :((

OU812

Welcome to the fun ontheroadbbq.

Heres a link to the manual.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/pdf/Bradley%20Booklet%206-08.pdf

Heres a link to there cook book.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/pdf/bradley-smoker-recipe-book.pdf

JGW

ontheroadbbq,

Sorry, I used to check this site daily, and recent events make it a once in a while.  Tri-tip is pretty easy.  For me, I think salt pepper and garlic are perfect seasonings for this cut.  I normally put the rub on the night before, wrap in plastic and get the smoke rolling the next day.

I NEVER cooked tri-tip until it's well done.  You want it pink to slightly pink in the middle for the best flavor.  The basic deal is what I said above...couple of hours smoke (and honestly, you could probably cut that in half).  Use a meat thermometer and take that puppy off at medium (at the longest....I normally go for medium rare).