10.5 & Hab

Started by Oldman, February 15, 2010, 10:13:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Why am I having to use winzip to view the newsletter from the recipe site? It might seem to be a hassle for some.  I'm against it.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Tenpoint5

I don't know. Unless Habs was having some issues with the .PDF files and putting them in there.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

You shouldn't have to use Winzip, it probably popped up because you have that installed on your system as the default file extractor. All Window's OS's since 98 SE have a built in utility to decompress a zip file, and Mac users have a similar program. Those instructions are listed on the down load page. It is just a matter of 2 extra clicks.

The reason I want to archive them is for space, and better organization. Once a volume is completed I'm going to compress all those issues into one or two files. It is much easier to manage, rather then the have a long list of individual files.

Edited for grammatical corrections - I'll blame in on the spell checker :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

QuoteIf you are running Microsoft Windows 95 or later:
Locate the file you just downloaded and right click on it.
This will open a menu window that gives you the option to 'Extract' or 'Extract all'.
Select one of these options, follow the prompts, paying close attention to what directory you are extracting the file(s) to.

These options I do not  have on either of my machines when I right click  Win 7 w/ IE8 or XP Pro w/ IE8

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I will need to check my other machines. The one I am on I running XP Pro SP3, and I have WinRar installed as the default uncompressor. When I click on a zip file, my options on this machine are "Extract files"; "Extract Here"; "Extract To"; plus a few more options that WinRar provides. I'll see what comes up on my other machines.

It seems that Vista and Win 7 does it a little differently. I don't have Win 7 to test, but found these instructions and a video on the MicroSoft site Compress & Uncompress Zip File. I follow up with this further, since the video is not running properly on this machine.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

hal4uk

Win7 has "Extract All" on the context menu (if it's a .zip file)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: hal4uk on February 16, 2010, 04:40:16 PM
Win7 has "Extract All" on the context menu (if it's a .zip file)

Thanks for the feed back.

With XP besides the "extract" there is another option when you right click you can also use "Open with".

Olds;
Compressing the newsletter PDF files does not save that much space. So the issue is how to make it easiest for the end user, but also allowing me to organize it without stringing a long list of single column files. The more I have been working with tables, the more comfortable I am with setting them up. With tables (and links within a page) I believe I will be able to organize the newsletters by volume without having compressing them. Right now I am working on OU812's bacon weave pictorial; that is when it struck me that I could use tables to list the files. Once that is completed I will work on the newsletter thread.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tenpoint5

Hab's since you probably don't hear it enough.

Thanks for Everything you do!! Especially the behind the scene stuff!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Habanero Smoker

You're welcome!

I'm retired now so I have time on my hands. It help keep me out of trouble, and from running the streets or should I say the country roads. :D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

The download page for the newsletter has been modified. You can now directly download the PDF file with out having to uncompress it.

I've checked the links and they all appear to be working correctly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Oldman