• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brisket Advice?

Started by RickWL63, February 15, 2010, 11:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickWL63

Saturday's brisket turned out great.  We pulled the smaller piece and are eating it.  The larger piece went straight from FTC to the refrigerator, still in the foil.  Plans are to bring it to work tomorow for a lunch party.  How should I go about reheating and chopping?  Should I just shop it all up now and put it in a crock pot with some broth and heat all night?  Or is there another secret I don't know about yet?  I don't want it drying out.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Pachanga

If you are chopping the point or deckle, this would be my recommendation.

Chop it by hand or pulse in the food processor with a lot of the fat and all of the bark.  Put in the fridge overnight in a baggie.

Take it to work with the crockpot.  Start heating in the morning.  As it heats, the fat will melt into the meat.  Add beef broth, more chopped fat or barbeque sauce as needed to keep moist.   A little butter never hurts anything.  You may not need to add any at all.  Fat is mostly the moist mouth feel in meat as it lubricates each strand of meat.  Serve heated sauce on the side.

If you have a hot plate, buttered and pan browned buns are always a hit.  The brisket can also be heated on the hot plate.

Serve with sliced sweet onion, sweet hot pickles or relish, pickled jalapenos and sport peppers.

Yee Haw,

Pachanga

RickWL63

It's a complete half, not just tips.  I will chop it tonight and put it back in the fridge.  I'll bring the bbq sauce with me, I thnk it will be a hit at the lunch.  I just heated some that I chopped yesterday for a sandwich.... DEE-licious!   :)

MPTubbs

Rick....I was waiting for this guy to chime in!

He'll set you on the right track.

;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Pachanga

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tubbs.  This is the way we do it but I will be interested in other techniques and tips.  I am always learning from this board and all the experience they share.

My experience and science says that plenty of fat in the mix is the ticket to keep it from "drying".  The ample fat left over after the attractive slices are served is the reason chopped brisket was invented.  In its solid layered veins, it puts people off but when it is chopped, it is pure flavor and no one is the wiser.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

RickWL63

Thanks guys.  I think I will be all right.

MP, got the sticks on and giong to take a play out of your book.  As soon as the smoke is through, I'm pushing the Bradley back in the garage to finish them.

MPTubbs

You go Rick!

Ain't this fun buddy!

Wait till Summer hits and its 99* out side with 75% humidity....an all new learning curve.

RickWL63

I think this will be a lifetime of learning.   ;)

SnellySmokesEm

Yes I agree  ;D  The chopped brisket sandwhich is almost as good as sliced brisket straight from the ftc.....  buttered bun, onion, a little sauce.......   ohhhh weeee    That ish is chronic!!!!  I need another brisket.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

RickWL63

Amen Snelly.  The chopped brisket was a big hit at work.  They devoured everything except the crockpot liner.... and I think one of them was eying it!   ;D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: RickWL63 on February 16, 2010, 04:19:46 PM
Amen Snelly.  The chopped brisket was a big hit at work.  They devoured everything except the crockpot liner.... and I think one of them was eying it!   ;D

ROFL

Way to go Rick. Problem is now they will want more.

Pachanga

Nice work, Rick.

Thanks for filling us in on the end result.  And yes, CRG is right about wanting more.

Pachanga

MPTubbs

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 16, 2010, 04:21:50 PM
Quote from: RickWL63 on February 16, 2010, 04:19:46 PM

ROFL

Way to go Rick. Problem is now they will want more.

And you'll have friends you didn't even know you had start coming out of the wood work!

Mmmmmm...the power of brisket!

OU812

Glad to here you office lunch was a hit.

What ever you do, just dont tell them how easy it really is.

Just let them know that you had to slave over the smoker for 18 hr or so.

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: OU812 on February 17, 2010, 06:03:36 AM
Glad to here you office lunch was a hit.

What ever you do, just dont tell them how easy it really is.

Just let them know that you had to slave over the smoker for 18 hr or so.

What mamma dont know wont hurt her....
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist