Pickled eggs

Started by RAF128, November 20, 2009, 06:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I read here about smoking pickled eggs and it sounded interesting.   I did cold smoke some boiled eggs a couple of weeks ago and they were fine.   I decided to try to smoke some pickled eggs.   The thought came to me all at once and I wanted them for the game on Sunday and didn't have time to pickle my own so I went to the store this morning and grabbed a jar full.   Thought there would be about 24 but later found there were more like 48 :o.    No matter I put them in and started cold smoking.   I put about 4 hours of hickory on them.   When done they were pretty darn good.   Smoke was too much but the brine from pickling was still pretty strong.   They will be eaten though.   I'll take some along in the morning on a deer hunt.   They make things pretty lively in the blind ;).

Tenpoint5

RAF,
If the smoke is too strong, put them back in the pickle and let them set for a few days like cheese. Should mellow out and get better.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RAF128

"smoke was too much" was a typing error :-\.   Should have read smoke "wasn't" too much.    Almost hard to taste the smoke with the strong pickling solution taste.

P.S.   I proof read this post and no errors, I hope ;)

Old_Sarge

Anyone tried cold smoking deviled eggs? I might give it a shot (I'll smoke half the batch and keep the other half back in case the smoke is an epic failure).

classicrockgriller

I'm not much of a pickled egg fan, but that was an interesting experiment.

Hope you don't "BLOW" your chance at shooting a big deer. :D :D

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Old_Sarge on December 09, 2009, 05:42:31 PM
Anyone tried cold smoking deviled eggs? I might give it a shot (I'll smoke half the batch and keep the other half back in case the smoke is an epic failure).

I have cold smoked the boiled eggs and then I made the "devileshed" them with great success. They were the hit at a stag party a couple of moths ago.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on December 10, 2009, 01:22:21 AM

I have cold smoked the boiled eggs and then I made the "devileshed" them with great success. They were the hit at a stag party a couple of moths ago.

HR

I do something similar. Most of my family and guests do not like the looks of smoked eggs. When I make "smoked" deviled egg I will throw a couple of smoked eggs in the process0r, and process until finely chopped. The I will add that to the yokes of hard boiled eggs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 10, 2009, 02:33:16 AM
Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on December 10, 2009, 01:22:21 AM

HR

Now there is a great thought. Thanks Habs I am gonna have to try that some day.

HR

I do something similar. Most of my family and guests do not like the looks of smoked eggs. When I make "smoked" deviled egg I will throw a couple of smoked eggs in the process0r, and process until finely chopped. The I will add that to the yokes of hard boiled eggs.
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Old_Sarge

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 10, 2009, 02:33:16 AM

That sounds reasonable. After all, aesthetics are important when one is entertaining guests. 

*lifts beer stein with pinkie extended*

*passes gas*

lumpy

I smoke them first, then pickle them

Lumpy

kevinconner75

Sounds good. I have never tried pickling eggs, but I thin I should try now.
Hi, this is Kasper, and I have Been working in the credit card processing job for about 12 years.

kaysoma

smoked deviled eggs are great.  i have had them smoked with alder.  everyone loved them i am making some today/

Paddlinpaul

Puree some smoked salmon with the yokes when making deviled eggs. They are fabulous. I used to work for The Four Seasons Hotel and the chef's would serve them as canapes when I worked there. Not sure of the ratio but they were a nice pink coloured yoke mixture when we served them.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

Caneyscud

I've layed some lox (and salmon roe caviar) on top of deviled eggs before but never mixed it in.  Can't wait till next time! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Paddlinpaul

Just remembered, smoked salmon with egg salad sandwiches are great too. We used to get the leftovers. Not sure why I don't still work there?
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!