Question for Pachanga

Started by car54, February 19, 2010, 03:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

Pachanga,

Your writings have inspired me to try a brisket. I believe that you cook your multiple briskets at 250 and because of the mass of meat it takes a long time for the smoker to stabilize.

What temperature would you recommend for a single brisket?

Thanks greatly, Brad

Pachanga

Brad,

I am glad that my ramblings have helped you make the move to brisket. Texas Style brisket is a wonderful meal to serve.  It is unique.  I am sure that many others on this board have contributed to your decision.  There is a wealth of information and expedience that is shared on this board.

I start at 250 or 260 with multiple briskets.  I start high because I do not want the heating element to ever go off during the temperature stabilizing process.  My Bradley (six rack digital) has been known to be inaccurate and shut down.  With that much meat mass (45 to 50 pounds) it takes all night to get to 200.  However, the temperature never reaches these temps before I adjust the Bradley to 220 actual temperature using a Maverick chamber probe set at the front and on the lowest meat shelf.

On a single brisket, I smoke at 220 true temperature.  Others, who I respect, smoke at 205 with great results.  Some people are not afraid to go up to 250.  For me, I would rather err on the side of lower than higher.  Lower is more forgiving. 

Some other tips are to place the brisket on the second or third shelf.  The bottom shelf can be harsh.  Adjust as needed, up or down, for temperature control.  On a single brisket, I like to put a heat shield or water pan on the first shelf.  A large water pan in the bottom is a must.  Keep it full and refill with boiling water.  This is going to keep the chamber temperature more constant and within the proper range.

There are several others who should chime in with their experiences but my answer is between 205 and 220.

Good luck and smoke it,

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

WOW! I finally feel like I got one right.

Since I got the Auber, My first setting is 250* and I have it set on time not temp.

The time will depend on the load. The Bradley (empty) will come up to 250* temp

in about 15 to 20 minutes. After the warm up, I usually load up what I want to cook

(after it has been removed from fridge and allowed to warm up a bit) and restart my

Auber with a first step of 250* for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs based on the mass in the Bradley.

I also avoid the bottow rack unless I have to use it due to having a full load.

The second step of the Auber is smoke/cook at 220* also until the Brisket or Butt

reaches the set IT. (195* for Brisket, 200* to 205* for Butts)

My temp probe is in the front 1/3 of the lowest rack of product, and like Pachanga

"A large water pan in the bottom is a must".

I have not used the empty bottom shelf for additional water pan, but that will be

something I do with my "tea bags" next smoke.

I have smoked 13 briskets in my Bradley now and have only had one that I really

didn't think compared to the others. Low n Slow is the way to go.

KevinG

Ah, the sweet taste of success.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG