• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

OBS vs Oven

Started by Moreler, February 16, 2010, 08:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreler

People have suggested that when the smoke is off, smokers are nothing more than a low temp oven.  I'm a little worried about smoking overnight (lots of raccoons around the house), windy conditions where maintaining temp is a problem, and rainy weather.  I'd rather leave the meat in the smoker, but if necessary, is there a problem with transferring to the oven after the smoking is done?  Is there an advantage of the smoker over the oven?

Are there differences between different types of meat (ok for some meats but not others)?  Will I lose a lot of flavor?  If I use the oven, do I need to wrap in foil?  Early on I plan to smoke ribs, butts and chicken.

I just picked up a new OBS and want to get started, but I'm worried about below freezing temps with high winds.  Would feel better if I had a backup plan... 

Sorry for all the newbie questions - Appreciate any advice!

classicrockgriller

Moreler, Welcome to the Foum!

Wow, so many questions without a hello, but it is OK!

Guess the answer to your question is after the smoke, the Bradley becomes an oven.

People bring their smoke inside to the oven for different reasons.

You have to decide on the conditions you are smokin in that day and what is the best way to finish to get the best food.

No one here will make game on what you decide.

Gizmo

I would bring it in especially if it was a choice over giving it up to a masked bandit.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Gizmo on February 16, 2010, 09:29:47 PM
I would bring it in especially if it was a choice over giving it up to a masked bandit.

Sorry, I have to ad to my statement, I'm on Gizmo side. ;D ROFL

Up In Smoke

Welcome moreler,
i like to look at the Bradley as a versatile low temp oven.
That being said i will go with CRG, we would not make game
of your decision.
As for critters, i live in the country and have not had any
smoker invasions as of yet.
High wind and low ambient temps can prove to be trying at times.
You will see many tricks and conversions here to help combat that
situation.
Just starting out, you could use a cold windy day for cold smoking
cheese, or cold smoke meats to finish on the grill or in the house
oven. You will see as you cruise around this site many members
that do those very things with excellent results.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Up In Smoke

Giz,
I can see it now.
(masked bandit) " I'm gonna open the smoker see,
and i'm takin' the jerky see, and if you or them coppers
try any funny business your gonna catch a slug from my
little pal here! :D :D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Habanero Smoker

I live in the country, where there are plenty of critters, and like UIP I have never had a cat, dog, raccoon, possum, coyote, fox or whatever is running around my property, attempt to get into the smoker. And believe me there are plenty of them around.

There is nothing wrong with using your kitchen oven. It is a convenient and quicker way to cook your food. I take a different view on whether the Bradley is just a oven. I rarely use foil, and my belief is that the dripping that hit the "V" pan and vaporize add additional flavor to  your food, just as the vapors add additional flavor to your food with you are using a gas grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I have done a lot of pork butts and ribs finished in the oven.

No one has ever complained about the food, or said I like the one finished in the Bradley better.

Finishing in the oven makes less of a mess on the V-tray as well.

Also consider that the OBS has 500 watts (625 if you leave the SG on) Most home ovens are 1500 watts, and the ambient temps are wind are usually not an issue.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Welcome moreler,

One advantage of moving to the oven is the smell in the house.....  waking up in the morning to the smell of a pork butt cooking in the oven :D

MPTubbs

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 17, 2010, 01:40:08 AM
I live in the country, where there are plenty of critters, and like UIP I have never had a cat, dog, raccoon, possum, coyote, fox or whatever is running around my property, attempt to get into the smoker. And believe me there are plenty of them around.

There is nothing wrong with using your kitchen oven. It is a convenient and quicker way to cook your food. I take a different view on whether the Bradley is just a oven. I rarely use foil, and my belief is that the dripping that hit the "V" pan and vaporize add additional flavor to  your food, just as the vapors add additional flavor to your food with you are using a gas grill.

I'm with Habanero....after the smoker gets lots of smoke built up on the side walls it will continue to add smoke flavor to your food.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

OU812

Welcome to the fun Moreler

I live in the sticks also and the only critters I have had problems with is feral cats. The other animals are smarter than them and stay away.

As far is start to finish in the smoker I'm in that boat, there aint nothin wrong with using the house oven I just dont.

The bigest enemy to your smoker is the wind, it will make it hard to keep an steady temp. The cold temps aint much of a problem, it takes just a little longer to get up to temp but once there it will maintain it.

As far as the rain any electronics dont fair well with it, I had a thunder storm move in on me half way through the smoke and moved the smoker on to the patio table with an umbrella to finish with out a glitch.

MPTubbs

OU...I wounder why all other critters stay away from your house???
                                         :D :D :D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

OU812

Quote from: MPTubbs on February 17, 2010, 05:37:01 AM
OU...I wounder why all other critters stay away from your house???
                                         :D :D :D

They dont like the big boom stick.

outdoorsfellar

As already mentioned, the smell of what's in the oven drifting thru out the house is just out of this world ! It can't be mentioned too often for that matter   ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on February 17, 2010, 08:21:33 AM
As already mentioned, the smell of what's in the oven drifting thru out the house is just out of this world ! It can't be mentioned too often for that matter   ;D

Having said that, I put some in on "convection" once - once - since the Mrs. was complaining of burning eyes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!