Mavrick ET-7 or ET-73?

Started by OTB, February 17, 2010, 10:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

On this board there is no such thing as silly or stupid questions.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

I have the ET-7 and the range is not very good for me.  When it was brand new I could get the signal at 15 feet (no windows, no walls) but at 20 feet it would be intermittent.  If I bring it inside and have a straight shot through a window I have to be around 10 feet or less.  So I was a little disappointed.  I plan on doing the antenna modification but haven't done it yet.  Hopefully yours will have a little better range.
SIA

Toker

Hi I'm thinking of buying one ET-7 but on amazon the reviews are not so great what do you think? Are the thermometer better than what amazon reviews say? I will wait to hear from you before i buy one thx.

smokeitall

I was thinking maybe my range is not so great because of some interference with a cordless phone or something.  You may have better luck than me.  I will play around with mine and turn off the cordless phone and wireless internet and see if the range improves.
SIA

KevinG

Quote from: toker on February 21, 2010, 09:20:26 AM
Hi I'm thinking of buying one ET-7 but on amazon the reviews are not so great what do you think? Are the thermometer better than what amazon reviews say? I will wait to hear from you before i buy one thx.

I had a tough time with this decision as well. I actually ended up ordering one from Nu Temp because I thought it faired better on peoples comments, but it never showed up. A year later, they contacted me and said it was available. Too late, I already bought both Mavericks. I'm happy with them, it sure beats hovering over the smoker all day long.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Toker

Yeah i just seen the post where you explain your range trouble, but i don't expect it from me I'm never really far from my smoker maybe 25 ft max i live in a small apartment and I'm planning to put my smoker inside with a pipe through the window so i will be even closer.

Toker

So i can buy one without fear? I already have an ET-73 but i need food probes that's why I'm thinking of buying it.

smokeitall

My ET-7 is great, has not failed me once.  I love the dual meat probes.  My only thing is the range and it sounds like it won't be a problem for you.
SIA

Toker

ok thx, i will buy one if Smokeitall says its ok.  :D

KevinG

If worse comes to worse, you can always do the mod. It's still gotta be better than having to babysit the smoker. Especially on an extremely hot or cold day. If you have to you can keep the receiver closer to the transmitter in the house. It has a reasonably loud alarm and should be able to notify you if your running about the house.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Toker

I would like to (to make the mod) but i'm not really handy >:( I wish i could buy it already moded :D

classicrockgriller

others have stated that keeping a fresh lithium battery helps with the range.

Toker

Anyway, I've never had any problem with my ET-73 so i don't see why i would have any with the ET-7.

Toker

Thank you i just bought one at 27$ on ebay  :D

idahosmoke

Has anyone used an ET-72?  Is this the cheaper version of the ET-7?

It is my understanding you buy the ET-73 to monitor the box temp, buy the ET-7 or ET-72 for IT of your meats?

Please correct me if I am wrong. I just bought the ET-72, but now wondering if I should have bought the ET-7??? Any difference beyond having dual temp ability?