Prices on smokers

Started by azamuner73, February 19, 2010, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azamuner73

I've been doing some poking around, trying to find the best deal on a Bradley for when I am ready to drop a few bucks, and I noticed similar and even vast price differences.  Now I am taking into account that some sites are American verses Canadian.

I even considered buying directly from Bradley itself but I've seen them cheaper here in Canada.  I can get a new 6-rack for $528 on Ebay and this includes shipping.  I emailed them and that is the full price, there is no tax over and above.  On the Bradley site it's $599 plus tax and plus shipping.

How is it that someone can offer the equipment cheaper than the manufacturer can?  It's got me scratching my head.

That Ebayer is also selling the SS one for about #518 total.

Just a bit confused here.   ???

classicrockgriller

Bradley tries not to compete with it's Dealers which is a smart business practice.

TTNuge

Manufacturer's try not to get in direct competition with their dealer/distributor network and often sell only at MSRP.  The dealers buy them at a certain price and can sometimes sell things at whatever profit level they choose unless there is a MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) agreement in place with the manufacturer to keep competition level.  

Main thing to be careful  of is your warranty and if you are buying from an authorized seller where the warranty is still valid.  Not sure if that is an issue with Bradley specifically but it can be the case with some other Ebay/Internet discounters.

FLBentRider

Quote from: azamuner73 on February 19, 2010, 10:51:05 AM
How is it that someone can offer the equipment cheaper than the manufacturer can?  It's got me scratching my head.

It all depends on what was paid for the product and how much margin the dealer wants. Manufacturers usually sell list price, dealers get real upset when the MFG undercuts them.

There are other business factors such as how long they have been in stock, cashflow, etc.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

azamuner73

I was thinking perhaps this person was a little shady but I guess he could be legit.  He's a powerseller with 620 feedback.
I believe he is an authorized seller of Bradley and sells fresh bisquettes as he is based out of BC.

I would have prefered to deal directly with Bradley but the price difference is a little too tempting. 

I will check out a few more things like the warranty, etc to make sure I'm making an informed decision.

Thanks guys!

Oooooo my wallet is burning.

classicrockgriller

Be sure and get some Crown Royal bisquettes and tell us in the states what they cook like.

(We can't get them here, although I have help empty the barrels they are made from)

azamuner73

I just called Bradley because I didn't see them listed on their site as a dealer but they said all are not listed and that as long as the smoker was new, I would get the 1 year warranty.

NePaSmoKer

My daughter got my 6 rack for $456/$0 shipping

azamuner73

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 19, 2010, 11:31:05 AM
My daughter got my 6 rack for $456/$0 shipping

That's a really good price even when I convert to CDN $474 ish plus whatever a bank charges to do it.
If only I lived in the USA.   :-[

classicrockgriller

Just got in today a second smoker. OBS $288 free shipping.

azamuner73

I'd order from Yard and Pool but customs would be sure to rape me with duties, excise tax, federal tax, provincial tax, and maybe even idiot tax.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: azamuner73 on February 19, 2010, 06:34:18 PM
I'd order from Yard and Pool but customs would be sure to rape me with duties, excise tax, federal tax, provincial tax, and maybe even idiot tax.

As long as they don't get you for "all the fun you are going to have and lotsa good food to eat" tax, then you are OK!

Paddlinpaul

I picked up my OBS a couple weeks before Christmas at Canadian Tire Store here in Ottawa for $289 Can. It was in the flier for $100 off.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

azamuner73

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on February 19, 2010, 07:01:10 PM
I picked up my OBS a couple weeks before Christmas at Canadian Tire Store here in Ottawa for $289 Can. It was in the flier for $100 off.

Yeah I saw them and teh DBS was also a $100 buck off.  The problem was the timing...Christmas!  I just had a house built and moved in
in October so funds are a little tight.

It sucks that crappy tire doesn't carry the SS or 6-rk DBS.

Paddlinpaul

I think the stainless steel has been discontinued.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!