• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Time for a Sticky

Started by love the smoke, February 20, 2010, 04:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

love the smoke

I have been reading (and asking) on this forum for  ? year and I think one of the questions I see most often is "how much Morton TQ, Pink Salt , Cure #2 do I add" And believe me I ask this very same question many times, after getting frustrated looking through many old post to find it.

Can we /somebody put a "sticky" on the first page of CURING with some kind of table in it that tells how much of the different cures to use

EXAMPLE

Ground Meat                  Morton TQ                Pink Salt          cure #1           Kosher Salt                 Cure #2

1 pound                           ??                         ??                 ??                 ??                            ??

If it was a sticky then soon as you look in "curing" there it is at the top of the page and it always stays there

Just a thought

LTS
LTS

deb415611

LTS -

while not a sticky here is a chart that you can bookmark 

Deb

Quarlow

I am not positive but I think I remember someone having a calculator for this. You enter your meat weight and it tells you how much cure to add. I could be thinking of something else though.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

It sounds like a good idea, but I've found that different manufacturers use different equations for how much to use. You should get instructions with your package that tells you how much.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Habanero Smoker

I'm working on a sausage ingredient list that will soon be posted on the recipe site (within 5 days), but it only includes the amounts for sausage making; not curing meat, though I can begin to work on such a chart.

I thought the chart I drew up could be pasted in this message, but the codes do not work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

If you just save it to your notepad then you can copy and paste it here. Phh look who I'm telling, like you need to hear that from this bonehead. Sorry Habs
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Quarlow on February 20, 2010, 10:38:34 PM
If you just save it to your notepad then you can copy and paste it here. Phh look who I'm telling, like you need to hear that from this bonehead. Sorry Habs

Any advise is helpful, you never know what one has tried.

I thought that both forum would be compatable in codes, but they are not. Using cut and past the columns and rows are lost.

When I find time I will make a chart for this forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Northern_Smoke

If I'm not mistaken, Morton's has a chart that you can buy that has quantities on it. I haven't bought one or even seen one but i was looking the other day to see how much cure i needed for a few things that i was making and ran across it on their web site. I was thinking it sure wouldn't be a bad thing to invest in.
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

Habanero Smoker

They do have chart in their printed guide, but I find it confusing for the beginner. For Morton's Tender Quick and Sugar Cure (plain) it is fairly easy to remember. For sausage use 1.5 teaspoons per pound of ground meat/fat, when used as a dry cure (applied to the surface of solid muscle) you use 1 tablespoon per pound of meat; when used in a wet brine you use 1 cup per quart of water.

Morton's Smoke Flavored Sugar cure is used differently, and for only dry cured meats that require a long time to cure (several weeks to several months).

I
         don't
                   inhale.