A quick note to the New Members and Visitor's

Started by Tenpoint5, February 22, 2010, 01:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Hi Jim;

Welcome to the forum.

Have you actually timed when the bisquettes are advancing, or are you just going by what the bisquettes look like after they have been pushed off the burner?

If you haven't timed when the bisquettes cycle through, I would do that first. Just to verify what is the time cycle when the bisquette advances. What I do is I will advance the a bisquette, set a kitchen timer for 18 minutes, then go off to do what I need to do. When the alarm goes off I will check if the bisquette had already advance, if it did, I will repeat the procedure but set the timer for 10 minutes. If the bisquette did not advance, I would time how long it will be for it to cycle. Fortunately I have a countdown feature on my timer, so that keeps track of the time past 18 minutes.

Though it doesn't appear you have had this problem in the past, a few things can come into play, that will effect how the bisquettes burn. The two most common is cold smoking, and/or humidity. When you are cold smoking; especially in your case - where you are using refrigeration; the lack of heat from the heating element can cause the bisquette not to fully burn. Humidity is another. If you haven't stored the bisquettes to prevent them from absorbing moisture, or if it is very humid during the time you are smoking, that can cause them to burn poorly.

Less common problems can be not enough power (voltage) getting to the generator. The bisquette burner should reach a temperature of around 550°F at the surface. You can test the temperature if you have an infrared thermometer. Sometimes the bisquettes come from the factory more compressed, then the previous ones you have been using. That can also cause the bisquettes to burn the way they are doing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

Quote from: Jim Allman on February 02, 2018, 02:14:14 PMNow, it only waits about half the time that it should before advancing the next puck, so I end up with half burnt pucks lying on the floor.

Hi, Jim.  How long does it wait between each cycle?  If it is working correctly it should advance a puck every 20 minutes.  I do not know that there's any way to change that time.

Jim Allman

Hi
I am timing it. Another post suggested that. I will let you know.

Katyshu08

Hello, brand new to the smoking world! Bought a Bradley for the husband's birthday. Looking forward to some good advice.

tulnic

Hi -- I am a new member; own a Bradley BTDS76P 990216  since 2012 and used it a lot. Since my door seal is burnt at the bottom I am trying to find a replacement door seal. Can I please get help with this?
Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Hi tulnic;

Welcome to the forum.

That depends on where you are from. If you are from the U.S., the best place is Yard & Pool

I
         don't
                   inhale.

souper

I am new to the whole smoke thing.  I have smoked a few things on the bbq with a side smoker box.  Really struggled trying to keep the right temp, etc.  I have been wanting an electric smoker for a long time but it has never been in my budget, however a week ago I actually just purchased a used Bradley smoker (and a different one) at an estate sale for $10 each.  The person doing the sale said she couldn't sell it for more than that because it was dirty.  I am excited beyond words and can't wait to start using it.  I am hopeful this forum will be super helpful.  I already have a question though.  How would you suggest I clean it? Thanks in advance!

Souper

Habanero Smoker

Hi Souper;

Welcome to the forum.

You came across a great find. You don't want the inside too clean. You want the inside to still have some seasoning. If the seasoning is too caked on and beginning to flake, use some aluminum foil, wad it up into a ball, and lightly scrape the inside of the cabinet to remove the flaking. If the inside is moldy, then you will need to do a more thorough cleaning using a vinegar and water mixture; then re-season it. If the racks are in good shape, just throw them into a dishwasher if you have one. If the chrome plating has been worn off and they are rusty you will need to replace them. Also go to the Bradley Smoker site and download the manual for your smoker.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

rnmac

Hi Souper and welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you came across a real find.
Let us know how you're making out.

Ben257

Hello, my name is Ben and I just started smoking as I got it as a Christmas present.

manxman

Welcome to the forum Ben, hope you enjoy using your new present. What model did you get?
Manxman

UncleDuke

I am new to smoking food and making my own charcuterie, although I have jumped in with both feet. I purchased the P10 smoker in November 2021 after several months of debating with my wife about the merits of purchasing a Bradley versus other brands versus smoking on my Weber grill.  I cook >99% of our meals and I grill and barbecue year 'round in NE Ohio regardless of the weather.  Since November 2021, I have smoked two turkeys, 4 slabs of pork belly, 1 beef brisket plate, 1 chicken, 2lbs of buffalo mozzarella cheese and three slabs of speck.  I have some guanciale in my frig that is curing and will be ready to smoke in about a week.

I have a Steak Locker meat locker (Pro series) that I use to age my meat.  At present, I have some speck and a prosciutto aging.

Did I mention that I grill and barbecue?  I made my own fire table. churrasco swords and asado crosses for true Argentinian barbecue, a barbacoa pit for Mexican barbecue and a tandoori oven for Indian barbecue.  This year we will host a "Meat Fest" for our 50 or so closest friends and offer barbecued, smoked and grilled beef, chicken, pork, fish, lamb, duck and rabbit.
Uncle Duke

Master Distiller
Amateur Blacksmith

Habanero Smoker

Hi Uncle Duke;

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a wide variety of skills. I hope you post some recipes, and techniques.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

manxman

Welcome Uncle Duke.

I second what Habs said about posting recipes and techniques.  :)
Manxman

Edward176