Safe time to wet age brisket

Started by Thor, February 25, 2010, 11:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thor

Bought two 12lbers at sammy's yesterday.  I would like to wet age but after doing a little reading online, it seems I should have tried to find the "packed on" date.   The sell by date is 2/28.   What should I do?  They are in the basement "beer" fridge and I have a therm in the an bringing the temp down to 35f.

Thanks all.
If you got it, smoke it.

Habanero Smoker

If they are still in the cryovac package, I would say they are wet aged long enough. The sell by date would mean that you can still hold them in your refrigerator no more then 3 - 4 days after that date; to be on the safe side. If you can't smoke/cook them within that time, they are still safe to freeze, that is if you have handled them properly - such as not letting them sit in temperatures above 40°F for any length of time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Old_Sarge

I have wet aged vac-packed brisket and beef ribs for over three weeks at 34* with excellent results, even though my wife was convinced we were all gonna die since she'd never heard of such nonsense. I actually had to eat a sample of each during the FTC process (I know; what a sacrifice) to prove that I wasn't cooking The Last Supper.

Thor

Since I do not know the packed on date I am going to play it safe. Threw one in the freezer and smoke up the other in the morning.   2 butts on now.  This will be a very happy weekend.  Thanks for the advise.
If you got it, smoke it.

SnellySmokesEm

Two butts and a brisket = a very happy weekend indeed!  Enjoy!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist