Newbie - Pork Loin Roast Advice

Started by Pawistik, February 27, 2010, 09:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pawistik

Howdy Folks,
I'm new here, and a relatively new smoker still learning the craft.

I have a question for the collective wisdom of the forum. I had great plans to do my first pulled pork using the recipe from Bradley (http://bradleysmoker.com/hickory-bisquette-recipes.asp#6)on my OBS. I wanted to use a pork roast I had in the freezer, which happened to be a 3 kg (6 lb) pork loin roast (I know, the recipe called for a butt roast). It was only later this evening that I was checking to make sure it had thawed completely that I noted that it was a longer cut folded over (originally tied up and I had cut the strings off).

So, ummm... will I be able to pull this after smoking/cooking? Is it too lean? Is there something better I should be doing with it?

Thanks in advance for any quick advice you can offer. This was to be supper after the Gold Medal Canada/USA Hockey game tomorrow afternoon.

Cheers,
Bryan

bears fan

I can't tell you if it will be as good as the pork butt I cooked today, but I do want to tell you to get it in early in the morning if you want it for supper.  I cooked a 6.6 pound pork butt and it took 13 hours to cook.  Next time, I'm going to start it the night before and let it cook all night long.

Pawistik

Yeah, my original intention was to start very early in the morning, or perhaps late tonight. However, given the difference in the cut of meat I was going to start in the morning, perhaps not quite as early.
Bryan

classicrockgriller

If it is a Loin, (IE: Long slender boneless) it will cook much faster than a butt.

In fact, you have to be carefull of too high of temps, you may dry it out.

Pawistik

It's not a tenderloin which I am more familiar with. I thought at first that it was cut lengthwise to remove a bone, but rather I think it's a long piece of meat, cut and folded over to make a roast out of it, and tied that way.

I agree, I expect that it will cook much faster based on it's diameter when unfolded. Also, the time listed in this post is http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=956.0. I'm quite certain I also read on this forum that the lower fat content of a pork loin roast decreases the time for the meat to come up to the required temperature.

High temperatures should not be an issue given that although it's a mild day forecast, our high should still be about 0C (32F).

So, should I aim for a meat that I will slice and serve, or cook it longer to then pull before serving?

Cheers,
Bryan

classicrockgriller

Paw, a thenderloin is a 2 inch or so slab of pork. A pork loin is 4 to 5 inch boneless meat and they are long and they tie them up to make a roast.

classicrockgriller

If it is a pork loin, then it is more of the slice.

Just not enough fat for pulled.

Wish I felt better tonite (kinda sick) I would look up some older links for ya, but someone will be by to help ya.

Habanero Smoker

You can cook any meat to a high enough temperature that it can be pulled, but if it is lean meat with little connective tissue it will be dry, and you will need a sauce to create the sense of moistness. There is a member on a low fat diet that pulls tenderloins and I believe loins also. Also if it is lean, as mentioned, it will take much less time to get to a temperature it can be pulled.

The cut should have been labeled more then just as a roast, but if you repackaged it that information is gone. Generally you will see butt, shoulder, loin or picnic to describe what type of roast it is. If it is a darker color the other pork cuts such as the loin or chops, then it is most likely boneless butt. Generally cuts from the rear are labeled as ham, though I have seen a ham labeled as a roast a few times.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

If that's a pork loin roast, save it and make some back bacon(called Canadian Bacon here).     I did that a few months ago and it was great.    Recipe is in the recipe section and the curing takes a week.   

Pawistik

Thanks folks,
It definitely is a loin roast and the label told me so. The only confusion came in because in my inexperience I didn't fully understand what a loin roast was, until I cut the strings off.

I'm sure saving it would be a good idea too, but I have company coming, and I'd rather get this going. (RAF, maybe you'll be able to smell it from there ).  ;)

Cheers,
Bryan

RAF128

Good luck.    You might have a problem with heat though.    It's -8 out there.   
By the way I've been smoking all winter but I cheat ;).   Got mine inside my heated garage and vented to the outside.    Hope the smell gets here but it depends on wind direction and where you're at.

FLBentRider

A pork loin roast is tender cut of meat.

I would smoke it to 147-150F IT and slice it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pawistik

Quote from: FLBentRider on February 28, 2010, 11:59:52 AM
A pork loin roast is tender cut of meat.

I would smoke it to 147-150F IT and slice it.
I did as advised and it turned out pretty decent; tender, moist, and very flavourful. About 6 hours of smoke and a temperature of about 240 max, but with big drops in the temp due to weather and me opening the door on occasion. I DO need to add the bricks.

Supper was served just after Canada won gold in the hockey over our southern neighbours.  ;D

I look forward to the next project - I'm going to have to find myself a BUTT roast and try that pulled pork very soon! In the meantime, I have a freezer full of beef to work with. It's from a dairy farm and was a milk fed steer or heifer so very tender and rather fatty meat. I'll be digging through the pile to see what I can find there. I'd like to do some jerky but this may not be the beef to do it with. I'm sure that will raise a bunch of questions and I'll post again when I get to them.

Thanks for the help,
Cheers,
Bryan