First Brisket

Started by fuzzyweasel, February 28, 2010, 06:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzyweasel

Did my first brisket this weekend in the OBS. 14.5 lb packer. Started 5pm on Friday, 4 hrs hickory, then 17 hours cook till IT of 180, then 1.5 hrs, FTC, turned out awsome!! Sorry no pics, but couldn't keep the people away from it long enough to get them. It was for my little girls 3rd birthday, and she couldn't get enough of it!!
I spent alot of time on this site reading and getting advice on smoking it, and would like to thank you all, since i can't exactly remember who's advice i worked from. I used a rub, then mustard slather, then more rub, into fridge for a day, then the smoker. I decided to cut part of the point off so it would all fit on the rack. (not sure if it was a good idea or not but it worked out) put them fat side on top on separate shelves for the smoke part, then put the fat side down on the point and tucked it under the bigger part of the brisket (still fat side up).
21 hours total cook time, temp 200-215, and glad i bought the Maverick ET-73. Since it was pretty chilly, the temp fluctuated a bit, and am thinking of getting  a PID.
thanks again to everyone

Gizmo

Sounds like your little girl had one heck of a party.  I wonder who had a bigger smile on their face.   :D
Nicely done fuzzy.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

West Coast Kansan

Good Deal,  Sounds like the party was ON for sure.  Happy Bday to the daughter.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

SnellySmokesEm

Congratulations on your brisket!  If you have any question dont hesitate to ask.  There are a lot of good people on this site with a ton of information on smoking and cookinf in general.  Welcome to the site
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist