• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Basic Dry Cure

Started by SnellySmokesEm, March 01, 2010, 10:18:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnellySmokesEm

I am getting ready to make my own pastrami from Hab's recipe on the recipe forum.  I have not been able to find tender quick in my area so before I ordered some I thought about using the Basic Dry Cure from the site http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=691#post691

The only problem I see is the Pink Salt.  Is this a common salt or do I need to order this?

My other question what is a better dry cure?  The Morton Tender Quick of the Basic Dry Cure?
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

FLBentRider

Pink Salt, Cure #1, Prague #1 - they are all the same thing.

Unless you can find it at a sausage supply or grocery store you will have to order it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Slamdunk

In researching cures, I've noticed that nobody uses Bradley cures.

Why?? You'd think they have a good cure given they've been in the business so long.

FLBentRider

Quote from: slamdunk on March 01, 2010, 12:47:23 PM
In researching cures, I've noticed that nobody uses Bradley cures.

Why?? You'd think they have a good cure given they've been in the business so long.

I just bought some the other day. I usually buy in bulk, and it has taken me a while to go through what I bought the last time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

moodyfisherman

what is a better dry cure?  The Morton Tender Quick or the Basic Dry Cure
Could someone touch on this question please.....
I have dry cured salmon with just salt and sugar but to make canadian bacon do you (have) to use Morton Tender Quick or the Basic Dry Cure??
Is that a bear with MY brisket in his paws?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: moodyfisherman on April 08, 2010, 07:21:56 PM
what is a better dry cure?  The Morton Tender Quick or the Basic Dry Cure
Could someone touch on this question please.....
I have dry cured salmon with just salt and sugar but to make canadian bacon do you (have) to use Morton Tender Quick or the Basic Dry Cure??

You can cure pork loin with plain salt, but it will come out way too salty, take much longer to cure, and you will not achieve that characteristic flavor associated with that bacon.

Either one will produce the same outcome. If you have concerns about using nitrates, Morton Tender Quick contains that ingredient. I don't believe there is any additional risk using TQ, I believe the amount of nitrates is minimal. I use the Basic Dry Cure, because I find it cheaper to mix and use then to purchase TQ. I already have Cure #1 (Instacure #1) for my other curing needs and sausage making; pickling salt/canning salt is readily available and inexpensive.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)