Temp control for a gas fired smoker

Started by Bangkok Smoke, March 03, 2010, 09:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick076

hello guys very nice discussion is going on here in this post

lvigil

Try this for gas smokers....

http://www.turkey-fryers-online.com/cb001_1_temperature_control_valve.htm

I made my own gas smoker and used the temp controller and it works excellent.
New Mexico "Land of Enchantment"

BobbR

I've developed a smoker temp controller using an Arduino driving a smaller stepper motor which turns the propane needle valve to control the temp in my smoker.  Works pretty awesome - I've maintained a 225 degree Beef Brisket smoke for 10 hours with a plus/minus of less than 4 degrees!  If you're interested in a building one for your self, I'll happily share my designs/code.

squirtthecat

Quote from: BobbR on November 23, 2010, 08:56:03 AM
I've developed a smoker temp controller using an Arduino driving a smaller stepper motor which turns the propane needle valve to control the temp in my smoker.  Works pretty awesome - I've maintained a 225 degree Beef Brisket smoke for 10 hours with a plus/minus of less than 4 degrees!  If you're interested in a building one for your self, I'll happily share my designs/code.

Welcome BobbR!   Sounds interesting...   I wouldn't mind taking a peek at your plans, and specifically the Arduino code.

hal4uk

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 23, 2010, 08:59:40 AM
Quote from: BobbR on November 23, 2010, 08:56:03 AM

Welcome BobbR!   Sounds interesting...   I wouldn't mind taking a peek at your plans, and specifically the Arduino code.
That sounds cool!  Looks like those are pretty inexpensive too...  I saw a board a while back that I could write .NET code for, but it was about $150.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

I still get "Make" magazine, and they occasionally have project based on the Arduino kits.   I think you can pick one up for around 40 bucks.  They have modules to add on for Ethernet support, WiFi, etc..

The code is in C.

hal4uk

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

daynamleo

thanks to share information i really want this oven unit
leo

muebe

First time I have seen this thread. I think for someone trying to do this kind of setup would need a modulating thermostat that older ranges and commercial ovens use. There is a standby pilot and a actuating pilot with a fluid tube ASO. The thermostat on this type of setup can modulate the size of the flame and keep a very even tempature. I think this would be much more ideal. You would need to locate an old stove or purchase this type of thermostat. Then the orfice would need sized for the outlet pressure due to the burner size in the smoker would be different. And then you would need to modify your smoker to make everything fit. I have a propane smoker that I converted to natural gas. I am going to look into trying this with my smoker because it sounds like a neat idea and I am always up for a challenge ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

muebe

Looks like this one would work   http://www.partsappliance.com/Stove-Oven-Range/GE-Parts/GE-Oven-Range-Thermostat/GE-Stove-Oven-Range-Modulating-p7355973.html

I would need to install the burner and pilot tubing but this type of thermostat would work. With this thermostat as the temp gets closer to the target the burner will drop down lower. This will create a very reliable and even temp in the smoker you are using. The minimum burner flame is adjustable(so it is not too low for wind) and this setup would not require any electricity. I am going to check some of my appliance parts catalogs later at work and see what else I can come up with. Might be a great mod for gas smokers ;D
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

CoreyMac

Quote from: pensrock on March 04, 2010, 11:55:28 AM
That may work pretty well but it quite expensive. Over $400.00 and you still do not have an actual PID controller connected.

Sorry to hyjack this thread but I am planning on using the Sausagemaker natural gas burner kit with a thermostat controller as well, you mention the PID controller. What would be the best way to use a PID on a gas fired smoker? What would you control with it?

I understand the need for one on an electric smoker but the gas ones have me a little bit stumped.

Thanks
Corey

muebe

Quote from: CoreyMac on February 14, 2011, 09:19:02 AM
Quote from: pensrock on March 04, 2010, 11:55:28 AM
That may work pretty well but it quite expensive. Over $400.00 and you still do not have an actual PID controller connected.

Sorry to hyjack this thread but I am planning on using the Sausagemaker natural gas burner kit with a thermostat controller as well, you mention the PID controller. What would be the best way to use a PID on a gas fired smoker? What would you control with it?

I understand the need for one on an electric smoker but the gas ones have me a little bit stumped.

Thanks
Corey

I would think one way to use a PID with a gas smoker is you would need to install a 24V gas solenoid valve(like on a gas dryer) for the main burner that would be controlled by the PID with a 24V signal to the valve from the PID(on/off). A large stand-by pilot would be a must with this setup. Then there would be the issue of heating the wood chip box with another burner... although the main burner could also serve this purpose. But with it going on and off constantly to regulate the tempature set by the PID I wonder how well it would work for heating the wood in the chip box...

CoreyMac

I was going to use the gas fired part strictly for cabinet heat, then use a smoke generator for the smoke part. It seems that a PID would be just an expensive thermostat. I will probable just go the basic thermostat to control the cabinet temp, and just run a digital thermometer for internal temps. Probable won't be as controllable as it would if it was electric, but it should work pretty good.

Corey

muebe

That sounds like it will work. I ordered the modulating themost and I am just waiting on it's delivery. My gas smoker will soon have a oven thermostat installed. I will post how it is done once I complete the mod ;D