beef short ribs going in the smoker

Started by bears fan, March 02, 2010, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bears fan

I really like seeing the pictures everyone shares on this site, so I'll share what I got smoking as we speak.  Smoking them tonight and will warm back up for supper tomorrow night.  Just did a simple BBQ butt rub and some salt, pepper and garlic salt on them.

Slamdunk

OH!

You know how if you know you can't have/do something, you just have this overpowering urge to do it? Well, due to a high cholesterol diagnosis a year ago I have had to severely limit my beef eating. And beef was/is my favorite meat!!

I've been wanting to smoke some beef ribs, so am very interested in seeing how yours turn out!

Please update with Pics!!   

OU812

bears fan

I apologize for not taking the after pictures.  I took them out after 3 hours of smoking and 2 hours of cooking.  They were tough, but no problem.  I wasn't eating them that night anyway.  I put them in the following afternoon for another 4 hours wrapped in foil and some apple juice and when we came home from work we ate them and forgot to take pictures for the site.  They were excellent and nice and tender after the additional cook time.

OU812

Sounds like they turned out good, thats all that matters, aint it?

bears fan

absolutely.  The better part of this is I've got the wife hooked as well.

classicrockgriller

I bet that foiling and warmin' turned them into some sweet meat!

Great idea!

JF7FSU

I've been thinking about doing some beef ribs, and was wondering how you know they are done.  Pork ribs pull back off the bone to tell you they are ready,  do the beef ribs do something similar? 

Sounds like you did smoke for 3hrs and 2 hours without in the Bradley for 5 hours then an additional 4hours in the oven?  9 hours seems long to me?  Also what temp/wood did you cook at/with.  Thanks for the response in advance.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

bears fan

the meat did pull away from the bone, but they were still tough.  That is why the next day I put them back in the Bradley for another 4 hours of cooking in the foil.  They did turn out nice and tender after the extra 4 hours of cooking.  I rotated apple pucks and hickory pucks for the 3 hours of smoking.

oakville smoker

Lookin good Bear
I am following your lead, I have a rack in the smoker that I started at 7 this morning
1 hour of Special Blend, 1 hour of hickory  ( seemed like a good idea at the time )

Around 1 PM  I am going to boat them and let  them enjoy a Bradley sauna this afternoon
I might add a beer instead of AJ

Dinnr will be the test.  I think that should be lots of cook time, I did not have much of a recovery issue when I put these
babies in

Pics to follow on another post
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

bears fan

mmmmmmm, beer boat.  I hope they turn out good for you.  Look forward to the results and the pictures.