Excellent rub for on Steaks.

Started by simmy, April 23, 2005, 03:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simmy

This is out of "Texas Cowboy Cooking" cookbook. By Tom Perini.

1tbs corn starch or flour
2tbs salt
4tsp coarse ground black pepper
1tsp dried oregano
4tsp garlic powder
1tsp paprika
1tsp granulated beef stock base

My dad was visiting last weekend and we put this on some T-bones. They were the tastiest T-bones I have ever had. I heated the gas grill to around 500 and put them on 3 minutes each side then 2 more minutes each side. They came off almost a perfect medium. Give it a try and see what you think.

Sidenote: The Perini Steakhouse uses this rub on all of their steaks. I am trying it out on a pork butt smoked w/maple. We will see what happens.

Steve

nsxbill

Sounds good!

On strips usually do about 4 lbs at a time for meal for 3 with one leftover for later.  My formula utilizes McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning.

My marinade:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
4 tsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp. Parsley, dried or fresh

Into the Marivac Vacuum marinator/tumbler.  Tumble for 20 minutes at 15 lbs pressure (If no Tumbler in platic for about 2-3 hrs in fridge)

I let them sit in the tumbler container to rest for about 20 min while the grill warms up.

The steaks come out of the tumbler a little sticky with flecks of garlic and parsley on surface-very little liquid left because it has been infused into the steak

I do 4 minutes each side at 500-600° on the grill then for criss-cross marks, 1-1/2 min each side.  Off the grill and into a coverd glass dish with a pat of butter on top, and covered with saran for about 5 minutes to rest after cooking.

Perfect Med Rare outcome every time!  Serve to guests and family... prepare for compliments!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Chez Bubba

Just curious,

Does anybody know what the corn starch/flour is supposed to add to this?

I've read hundreds of rubs & this is the first time I've seen it and can't think of a reason it should be there.[?]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Habanero Smoker

This is my guess [:D]. During grilling, at that high of a temperature, the cornstarch or flour would aid in carmelization and browning of the surface of the meat.

This is similar to what is called "Greek Seasoning". Going through some of my recipes I located this:

Greek Seasoning Blend Spice Mix Recipe
•   2 tsp. dried oregano
•   1 ½  tsp. onion powder
•   1 ½  tsp. garlic powder
•   1 tsp. sugar
•   1 tsp. cornstarch
•   1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
•   1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
•   1 tsp. thyme
•   1 tsp. basil
•   ½  tsp. ground cinnamon
•   ½  tsp. ground nutmeg(optional)
•   1 tsp. beef-flavored bouillon granules
•   1 tsp. salt

Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, and mix well. This rub can be used with steaks, pork chops, chicken, or fish.

I often use this when I cook stews, and it is also great on chicken, especially when I cook beer can chicken. I haven't tried in on grilled steaks, but now I think I will give it a try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

psdubl07

Oldman

Have added simmy to the recipe page. I will add the others later tonight.

You can see it here: http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81

Bill's is here: http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?p=95#post95

Habanero Smoker's is here: http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

gotbbq

Hey Olds,

I just got back from Japan.  What an experience.  I had some unreal food, none smoked but really great.  I did go to a Japanese BBQ, with homemade charcoal!  Anyway- I saw your recipe website - really great. I'm glad to be back.

Rich

gotbbq

Oldman

Glad you are back~~! Hope you had a good time while in Japan and not just an experience. [:D]

Ya the new site is coming along. I have not been able to do anything with it for the past 3 days and I still have more work to do (real work that is) today before I can get back to it.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

CLAREGO

anybody sprinkle coffe grounds on there steak this works great!

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CLAREGO</i>
<br />anybody sprinkle coffe grounds on there steak this works great!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Interesting... I will try that.

Olds

SoupGuy

Good Golly!

What could possibly be wrong with a steak cooked (properly) on a grill, sprinkled with a little salt (maybe a bit of black pepper) ???

Anyone here require "A1" Sauce in order to eat a steak? If so, I have a can of Miracle Whip you can use to make your next sandwich with!

...shudder.....