Unorthadox smoked chicken

Started by Northern_Smoke, March 02, 2010, 01:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bangkok Smoke

I am waiting on the Smoke Daddy to compare, And yes the sugar maple bullets are a Great taste..
gb

Northern_Smoke

For anyone that had been asking me what the herb pack i use looks like, here it is :

It doesn't say whats in it but when i can't find the fresh stuff, i usually just put this in the pot:
1 tablespoon dried rosemary
1 tablespoon dried sage
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried marjoram
1 tablespoon celery seed
1 tablespoon whole peppercorns or 3/4 tablespoon ground pepper

I like to boil some of my liquid for the brine and put the spices in and let them boil for a few minutes to help get the flavor out into the chicken. I will say though that the fresh does a better job
Bob and Doug Mckenzie encompass all that is Canadian ehh.

oakville smoker

Looks awesome
My rotisserie died on me and I have not replaced it yet
I miss it
heres and idea....   smoke in the Bradley, finish on the spit
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Bangkok Smoke

Quote from: Bangkok Smoke on March 06, 2010, 11:14:46 PM
I am waiting on the Smoke Daddy to compare, And yes the sugar maple bullets are a Great taste..
gb

Smoke Daddy came in and has been 'Baptized' . I did a Whole Chicken 3 .5 lbs , Brined, Rub 3 parts Lemon Pepper 1 part Paprika . Packed in Herbs = Rose marry Sage Thyme crushed Celery seeds and lemon grass. Took a beer can punched holes about 1 inch down from the top about 1/2 inch Dia holes 4 of them w/ about 2oz of beer left in . put some of the same herbs into the beer can, stuffed the can into the cavity.Note, the Chicken still had the neck on so that end was closed / sealed.  Smoked about 3 hrs at 260* to 270* pulled at IT 160.. Basted with apple + lemon Juice the last hr.

Wow! the skin was crisp, even brown color. The meat was very Juicy and did have that 'stuffing' taste you mentioned.

For Smoke I used the Smoke Daddy with Oak and apple pellets.
After 3 hrs of smoke, there was still about 1/2 or more of the pellets left in the Smoke Daddy!

I like this unit a lot more than the 'smoke pistol' .
I can use any wood chips and or pellets readily available here in Thailand and getting it lit and keeping it smoking was just easy.. no problem at all.

Also as the entire unit is simple and can be disassembled, it is a breeze to clean.
No problem with the pellets / wood chips hanging up in the barrel of the Smoke Daddy. It worked a treat!

Sorry.. Pictures next time..

That Pepper /Lemon gave the bird a nice 'Asian' bite. Lemon Chicken is a popular dish here and the 'Out-Laws' did not leave much for late not snacks..  The Cat is upset as she got no left overs either!!  Mother In Law is Boiling the carcass for stock / soup..

This was rare for me to get the family approval to the point of no one had any 'Suggestions' for improvement.. as is the norm whenever I serve a dish.. Just a 'Thai' thing..