• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Doing Spares with 321, now my first baby backs.

Started by JustusIV, March 11, 2010, 07:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachanga

Those ribs have a membrane from what I can ascertain  in the photo.  I have smoked many a rib and never saw one with the membrane removed by the butcher.  Maybe Texas has lazy butchers.

I pull the membrane similar to others.

Slip a pointed knife flat against the exposed bone with the sharp edge tilted slightly toward the bone.  Do this about on third of the way from the end.  Run the tip of the knife along the bone as far as you can without cutting the membrane but the length of a finger is long enough.

Rotate the knife so the dull side is up, perpendicular to the bone, and the sharp edge is touching the bone.  Remove the knife.

You should have a tunnel in which to insert a finger.  Pull up slowly and gently to release the rest of the membrane.  

If some membrane will not release, score it in two directions with the tip of the sharp knife.  This will allow rub seasonings and slathers to penetrate the membrane.

A slather along with a large water source will help tremendously when smoking ribs without foiling.

TenPoint had an excellent pictorial on removing the membrane in his recipe as I recall.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

db14

I find using a paper towel helps tremendously with removing the membrane.  Get it started on one side and then use a paper towel to grab it.  The paper towel allows you to grip the membrane.  From there, you just slowly pull it off.  I heard this tip before my last batch and using the paper towel method I got the membrane off in one pull.  It took about 5 minutes.  It greatly reduced my rib making frustrations.

JustusIV

Just giving everyone the update.
Ribs still rocking in the bradley. I stopped the smoke after about 3 hrs or so and have since started applying the mop sauce given to me earlier in the thread

OU812

Now thats a mop!  ;D

When you mop just dab it on dont wipe or you will wipe off your rub.

Keep us posted.

JustusIV

Got it boss!
I saw them doing it on tv, so i just copied that :)

Side note, my brand new maverick food prob is reading like 100F off, what the hell, is the probe ruined?
Sitting outside my box right now reading 160F

Grrrrr

Also how long do you think these are going to take with a staight cook of 225?

OU812

Did you get the cable wet?

They dont like it when the cable next to the probe gets wet.

I would say they will take 5 to 6 hr to cook but go by the bone twist or when the meat pulls back from the bone 1/4" to 1/2"

Keep your mop warm, so your not coolin off your ribs when you mop. I put it on a rack and put it in the smoker.

JustusIV

Yeah i got it wet, didn't know i wasn't supposed to, how the hell do you clean it LOL

I have been keeping the mop sauce and mop on the stove on low, so its not cold, seems to be working. No bone showing yet though :/ and i am getting right at the 5 hour mark.

Once again, thx for all your info and guidance during this very nerve racking time.

OU812

Sounds like your on the home stretch now.

All you need to clean is the probe.

JustusIV

Added bbq suace and am going to let it setup on about 30 minutes in the bradley, i will post pics as soon as i get them into the kitchen.

How big of a deal is it when i open the bradley, i was applying mop every 30 min for the last 3 hours and my temps would dip, I know the saying if your looking you aint cooking.
My bradley seems to get hit hard when the door opens, i even through a brick in the bottom to help.

JustusIV

All done eating the first rack :)
Once again crappy camara phone taking these pictures.
They were over cooked in a few areas but there flavor was great. Extremely bold but great none the less.

OU812

Sweet.

Cant tell much from the first pict but the second pict they sure look good, nice and moist too.

Did you take notes? They will help you next time.

Some times the thinner half of the rack will get done before the thicker part. Thats when the FTC works. Pull out the thinner part, TFC till the thicker ones are done.

Great job.