• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Doing Spares with 321, now my first baby backs.

Started by JustusIV, March 11, 2010, 07:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustusIV

So i didnt think it through or do any research and picked up baby backs this time around. Will i still be doing the 321 method or do i need to switch it up?
I am not looking to win a competition here, just looking for best odds for a good dinner :)

TTNuge

3-1-1 or some combination like that is better with Baby Backs.  It can be pretty easy to overcook them so you want to be careful.  I'm at work so I don't have my notes but I'm pretty sure I've done 3-1-1 the last several times with excellent results.

EDIT:  Just looked at my post and I was closer to 3-2-1 on the last batch but I was also doing 6 racks so take that into consideration. 

MPTubbs

The last batch of BB I did was 3-2-1 and turned out very good.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

JustusIV

Thx for the heads up.
I know they are done when the meat pulls back from the bone, but anything i should be looking for temp wise?
I always felt the 321 should get me close to my mark so i have just winged the IT.

OU812

The last batch of BBR I did were the meatest BBR I have ever gotten and the
3 - 2 - 1 worked fine for me.

I have never used an IT for ribbs, just go by sight and feel.

JustusIV

Sounds good, thx for the tips guys.
I might take pictures this go round :)
Also last thing beside a bit of apple juice in with the foil portion, i never spritz them with anything, i read somewhere that a apple juice vinegar and the rub mix is good about once every hour.
What do you guys think?

JustusIV

Actually different question,
How do i go about cooking some baby backs without using the 321 method? i have read there are ways to forgo the tinfoil.
Tips?

Pachanga

Quote from: JustusIV on March 11, 2010, 08:45:14 AM
Actually different question,
How do i go about cooking some baby backs without using the 321 method? i have read there are ways to forgo the tinfoil.
Tips?

Read this thread.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=14858.0

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

OU812

I have done BBR with out the foil by usein a mop.

Smoke for three hr after the smoke applie the mop every hr or so till they are done. It will take a little longer cause you have to keep openin the door to mop. Keep the mop warm, I put the mop in the smoker to keep it warm.

I like this.

BARBECUE MOP SAUCE  

1 c. vinegar (can use apple cider or wine vinegar)
1/2 c. cooking oil
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1/3 c. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. ground bay leaf

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to boil. Keep warm while using.

JustusIV

EEK!
Last question for the day
It doesnt appear that these baby backs have the membrane on them or atleast i cant see it but it also appears that the is some major fat on one side, do i leave that alone? Do you think the packager removed the membrane?

KevinG

I'm not sure if that picture worked for everyone else, but it didn't load correctly for me.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

The membrane is thinner than the plastic your ribs are on. Tough to see.

Have you tried a butter knife and slide it between the bones and the membrane?

As for the fat I try to remove the big chunks but leave the small thin stuff, it will melt away.

JustusIV

The host for the picture is photobucket.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/JustusIV/IMAG0048.jpg is the direct link

ARGH!!!! the membrane is the sole reason i get frustrated cooking ribs!

FLBentRider

I use an upside-down spoon to get a start in the membrane.

I trim all the fat I can easily trim.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

JustusIV

Ugh, Something was up. i mean i have cooked maybe 6 racks so far and these membranes were different, i couldnt pull anything without it ripping with no pressure what so ever and even when i would slide something under spoon butter knife whatever, it was so thin that it was just not even fully intact if that makes since. :/
Decided to do two racks instead of the 4 that i have just incase i screw something up.
I will keep taking pictures and posting.
Thx everyone I love this community. And i know its not really giving back to you guys, but i am giving back, i have yet to smoke where half the meat wasn't given away to hungry soles :)

Sorry using camera phone :/
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj105/JustusIV/IMAG00491.jpg