spices

Started by Ketch22, March 09, 2010, 12:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ketch22

Hi
Dose anyone have a list of Spices that are hard to fine in the stores. I should order like Dextrose I cant fine in the stores by me. If I can order all at once it would be better for me.

Thanks Ketch

KevinG

It depends on what you plan on cooking, but dextrose is a good example of hard to find, also Cure #1, Cure #2. I can't get Juniper Berries or Carolina Treet, but others have no problems. It all depends on where you are and what you plan on doing.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Ketch22

Thanks KevinG
I was just looking for a BASIC list that I could look at and say OK I need this or that if I don't see it by me.I know what you are talking about and I will add the juniper and Carolina Treat to my list
Thanks Ketch

Habanero Smoker

I have to agree with Kevin, it is best to know what you are mainly going to cook. Dextrose is mainly used for dry cured and semi-dry cured sausages. It is not necessary for rubs or brines. If your are going to get into or already into sausage making here is a list of sausage ingredients. You won't need all of them, but if you read the description you will get an idea of whether or not it is something you will need.

Sausage Ingredients

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 09, 2010, 01:25:49 PM
I have to agree with Kevin, it is best to know what you are mainly going to cook. Dextrose is mainly used for dry cured and semi-dry cured sausages. It is not necessary for rubs or brines. If your are going to get into or already into sausage making here is a list of sausage ingredients. You won't need all of them, but if you read the description you will get an idea of whether or not it is something you will need.

Sausage Ingredients

Habs

You did a bang on job on the sausage ingredient list!  8)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

Very well done Habs!

My compliments

Lumpy

Ketch22

Thanks for all the reply
If you look at my post under Meat (Ketch22) that is were i was told about the dextrose.I have that little ham and wont to smoke it. Thank Habs for the site with the Ingredients.I am new at this and wont to do it right I wont to do more then just jerky and snack stick.

Thanks All

smokeNcanuck

Habs,
As a newbie that want's to get in to sausage making, Thank You! ;) ;)
That is a GREAT list and explanation of ingredients used in sausage making.
It can be a little overwhelming at first but, with the right info it sure makes things more clear.
THANKS again, VERY COOL 8) 8)

sNc
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Ketch22 on March 09, 2010, 04:01:59 PM
Thanks for all the reply
If you look at my post under Meat (Ketch22) that is were i was told about the dextrose.I have that little ham and wont to smoke it. Thank Habs for the site with the Ingredients.I am new at this and wont to do it right I wont to do more then just jerky and snack stick.

Thanks All

I think I remember that thread. You really don't need dextrose in a brine. I believe it was used because it dissolves easier in cold water then white sugar. As OU812 pointed out you can use about 1/4 cup of sugar; I believe that would be about the equivalent.

I now understand what you are looking for. You want to know what most of us have in our cupboards to cover the basics in making rubs, cures, brines and sausages. Here is a vendors list where you can order a lot of the ingredients you will need in the future - Approved Vendors

Thanks everyone for the compliments. If anyone finds any errors in description or especially grammar, I would appreciate if you will send me a PM. It's an ongoing list.

I just received some feedback for L.E.M, and the use for Trehalose should be posted in a few days, I just need to get some clarification for the information they sent me (I have to thank NePas for that one). I'm placing an order for that today, it sounds like an interesting sugar to use in sausage, I may try some in Kummock's Smoked Salmon, and because it has a high temperature tolerance I'm going to test it in a rub for my next butt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ketch22

Thanks Haba

I Gauss I didn't make myself clear about what I was looking for. You were a big help. Do you think I can just do a beef rub on this venison ham like I say it is real small about 2#.Then cook and smoke it in the Bradley I have cooked bigger Hams in the oven before

azamuner73

If you have any home brewing shops near you, odds are they have dextrose.  Dextrose is just corn sugar.  I used to buy it to put in my protein shakes after a workout since it's a simple sugar and breaks down quickly.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Ketch22 on March 10, 2010, 04:07:54 AM
Thanks Haba

I Gauss I didn't make myself clear about what I was looking for. You were a big help. Do you think I can just do a beef rub on this venison ham like I say it is real small about 2#.Then cook and smoke it in the Bradley I have cooked bigger Hams in the oven before

I'm not familiar with venison, it's been a long time since I cooked it, and it was roasted in an oven. I'm sure one of the many hunters on the forum and provide you with that answer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.