Strange question re. rubs and/or cures

Started by garbadee, March 21, 2010, 11:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbadee

My wife wants to smoke the meat with no rubs.  Is that safe?  We would be talking about fish, chicken, ribs, brisket, and/or butts.

What would be a minimal rub?  Salt only?  Sugar only? Would a light coat of garlic salt be enough?

Ed

Habanero Smoker

For the foods you mentioned, the minimal rub that you apply will depend on what seasonings you like, and what temperatures you are smoking/cooking at. With the food you mentioned, you will be using barbecuing temperatures (200° - 275°F), so if you don't want any seasoning, you don't have to apply any. With the exception of fish that you mentioned, you can smoke/cook at a steady 200°F - 220°F, but most of us like to start at a low temperature; around 110°F, and gradually increase the cabinet temperature to 180°F. If you are smoking/cooking the fish using those temperatures you should use a brine. When you get into smoking sausage, you will definitely need the proper amount of cure and salt in your sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Tommy3Putts

I have done hundreds of chicken thighs in a smoker with just garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper with a light coating of pam in a smoker with four hours of hickory.  The temp is the key. 

garbadee