Pork Chops Tonight!

Started by ArnieM, March 19, 2010, 02:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Nothing out for dinner so I went to see my local butcher guy.  (I still have my brisket brining for corned beef on Sunday in his fridge.)

I've never seen chops like these.  They're Berkshire, locally grown.  I asked if one would be enough for 2 people and he said "Here, take two just in case." - a BOGO!.  I picked a few other items out of his $0.49/pound basket and dinner is starting to look promising.

I figure I'll do the chops in my cast iron pan on the grill and then let them rest a while I do the other stuff in the same pan.  I'll get back later with more pics.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

car54

Arnie,

Those chops look great. All the fat will add much moisture and flavo.,
What was the price?

Brad

deb415611

Those look great.  Are they Rowland Farm berkshire?  I had a little pork butt from there last weekend and it was incredible.
Where is your local butcher guy? 

Whatchasmokin

Looks like the start of a tastey meal!!
The time to hesitate is through............James Douglas Morrison

squirtthecat

Berkshire BOGO?!?!?  ??? ???

Dude, I'll be on an airplane in the morning......

deb415611

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 19, 2010, 02:39:32 PM

Berkshire BOGO?!?!?  ??? ???

Dude, I'll be on an airplane in the morning......

I missed that ,  my Berkshire certainly was BOGO :D 

classicrockgriller

Can't wait to see what's up your sleve.

That was one fat PORKER!

ArnieM

Brad - The "list price" was $8.99/pound.  He wrapped up two chops for me and marked the package $8.99.  I weighed the package when I got home and it was 2 1/4 pounds.

Deb - Yes.  rowlandfarmhogs.com.  I'll PM you the butcher shop info if you want it.

The chops came out a bit overdone but very tasty.  Nothing but S&P for seasoning.

I did a FO (Foil Oven) on the chops while doing the potatoes.  The oven runs about 175-185 at "Keep Warm".  I should have just used a towel.

My apologies for the following pics.  My cam is around 8 years old and I think the auto-focus in low light is on its way out.  My wife has other ideas.

OK.  Into the pan they go.  That's my 15 inch skillet for a size reference.

Ready to come out for a rest.

Potatoes went in for a while.  Then added the onions and chipotle powder.

Finally, dumped in a mess of sliced garlic (no pic).

Any leftover fat and rind went into the freezer.  I'll smoke it up the next cold smoke and use it for soups and such.

It certainly was an interesting experience.  A dinner like this for two for $10, with leftovers, was worth it.

-- Arnie

squirtthecat

So what is the taste compared to a 'normal' pork chop? 

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on March 20, 2010, 08:18:38 AM

That's really a simple question that's difficult to answer.  Taste is a combination of a few things.

It didn't taste like chicken  ;D

The meat was firm but not tough and had a sort of rich (a little vague) flavor.  I think it would have been better at an IT about 10o lower.  There was no pink left.  The fat was creamy rather than greasy.

As I said, difficult to describe but certainly tasted good.
-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

It sure looked delicious and the Butcher did you right.

I enjoyed the post.

squirtthecat

Very nice.  Definitely worth trying..   

deb415611

Quote from: ArnieM on March 20, 2010, 09:00:14 AM
Quote from: squirtthecat on March 20, 2010, 08:18:38 AM

That's really a simple question that's difficult to answer.  Taste is a combination of a few things.

It didn't taste like chicken  ;D

The meat was firm but not tough and had a sort of rich (a little vague) flavor.  I think it would have been better at an IT about 10o lower.  There was no pink left.  The fat was creamy rather than greasy.

As I said, difficult to describe but certainly tasted good.

I have done some boneless chops & a pork butt from that farm.  I think rich is a good word for it & just more flavor in general.

Arnie,  yes, please pm me the butcher shop info.   Thanks for the rowland farm website, I had googled but hadn't found it.   

squirtthecat

It's been a while back, but I had some Berkshire loin chops up in Chicago at Hugo's Frog Bar. (they are owned by Gibson's steak house, and share a kitchen)

They were fantastic...     Definitely a 'rich' flavor.

KevinG

That's some good lookin' grub there Arnie!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG