4lb Pork butt and Bellpeppers?

Started by duckhunter, March 19, 2010, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckhunter

'm getting prepared for my first pork butt on the smoker. I'm familiar with smoking chickens, bacon and ribs, but this is my first pork butt. Is there anything I should know? I was probably gonna do the top rack with all maple bacon, 2nd rack and 3rd rack with chickens then pork butt on bottom. I think the chickens will take 4 to 4.5hrs, but I'm unsure of the butt. Also, should I marinate the butt overnight or use rub and put in the fridge overnight? How long does the 4lb pork butt take w/ 2 whole chickens and bacon?? Any thoughts on a specific marinade or rub? And what about using a brine? Lastly, I've got some bellpeppers and have sliced them in half and de-seeded them and would like to stuff and put them on the smoker towards the end. Any ideas on what to stuff with and how long to smoke?? I was thinking about stuffing them with sausage, jalapenos and cheese. Thanks for any help in advance!!!

pensrock

I like to do chicken at higher temps than the pork. Chicken @ 250 F, pork butt @ 210 F. So personally I would not do them at the same time.

If doing them at the same time I would suggest keeping the chicken below the other things to prevent any cross contamination. Stuffing the peppers with your items sounds good, you can also add bacon and/or minced shallots. I would keep the peppers in for a good two hours.

classicrockgriller

the butt could take from 16 to 20 hrs.

You won't have to worry about the Butt finishing first.

Habanero Smoker

In this case I don't see any thing wrong with putting the chicken above the butt. You only have to worry about cross contamination in raw food, or if the food below the chicken finishes first. As mentioned above the butt will take longer then the chicken. I don't try to give total times, too many variables and it depends on when your smoker gets up to your desired smoking/cooking temperature.

Keep your vent wide open, at least until most of the moisture is expelled. When combining different foods in the smoker, the amount of smoke is up to you. I generally use 2 hours for chicken and 4 hours for butts. For ideas on brines, rubs and marinade, check out the recipe site.
Recipe Site

Stuffing bell peppers like ABT, may be a little rich. That is a lot of cream cheese in one serving. What I sometimes do (I keep forgetting to post this recipe), is slice bell peppers into 1 - 1 1/2" ring, mix up a meat loaf and stuff the rings, you can use commercial breakfast sausage or homemade if you have it. Cook until the meat reaches 160°F, on jerky racks, or high temperature screens if you have them. Be careful removing them, or the rings will seperate from the meat. When slicing the bell peppers, after cutting off the ends, I will use what I can, of these ends, in the meat loaf. Now that I am thinking of these stuffed pepper rings, I may make some next week, and get around to posting the recipe

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)