pressure cooker corned beef meets hot pastrami rub

Started by squirtthecat, March 17, 2010, 04:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I picked up another 1.99/lb corned beef flat last weekend, and never go around to making pastrami with it.  With today being St Paddy's day and all, I broke it out for a quick 45 minute rinse/soak when I got home..

Into the pressure cooker with ~1/2 pint of Guinness, 1 1/2 cups water and a toned down version of this rub:

1 Tbs ground Tellicherry pepper (Penzeys)
1 Tbs Hungarian half-sharp paprika (Penzeys)
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs ground coriander
1 Tbs Colman's mustard powder
1 Tbs onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp thyme

In this case, I went with generic ground pepper, left out the mustard powder and white pepper.   All of the amounts were closer to 2 tsp, and sprinkled directly on top of the meat as it lay in the Guinness sauna.

I also put a fresh bay on each slice (it was 4 lbs, so I had to chop it in 1/2 to fit) of corned beef.

Cook times:

* 60 minutes under pressure.   
* Then another 20. 
* Then release pressure, pile in some quartered red potatoes, baby carrots, and quartered turnips...   
* 12 minutes more - and final release of pressure.

Then hope for the best...   (frozen pizza/microwave popcorn is on standby)

classicrockgriller

I love it when someone has a vision.

Here's to the Rubbed Corned Beef.

Habanero Smoker

Looks like a good recipe. I don't know if you have seen it yet, but McCormick now sells a Toasted Ground Coriander. If you see you try it, it is much better then the regular ground.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

It turned out well..   Nice texture & flavor.  The brisket could almost be cut with a fork.   I'll amp up the 'hot rub' values next time, as there was really no heat to this at all.

Observations:     

WAY too salty.  Next time I'll soak the corned beef overnight, at least..      And, the turnips all but disintegrated.   I've never cooked them before, so I'll cut their time under pressure by 1/2-1/3rd next time.

It was definitely worth trying again.    The Guinness made a nice rich broth.   I think I like cooking with it more than drinking it! 

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 18, 2010, 01:46:49 AM
Looks like a good recipe. I don't know if you have seen it yet, but McCormick now sells a Toasted Ground Coriander. If you see you try it, it is much better then the regular ground.

Neat.  I'll have to keep an eye out for it..