17 lb Chuck Roll - 8 lb Briskets - and Other Stuff ... I Tamed CHUCKZILLA!

Started by classicrockgriller, March 20, 2010, 09:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Gizmo on March 21, 2010, 08:42:45 PM
I am missing the sliced pics on the Chuck Roll CRG.
Looks like I am going to have to get some reservations to Houston soon.   :)

I've had it in FTC for about 2 hours.

May try to post finish pics in morning before I drive to Houston to pick up Son and New Bride at Airport.

classicrockgriller

I cleaned up all the racks, v-tray, wipe down the door seal, etc.

I took Chuckzilla out of FTC and stuck Him in the Fridge for the nite.

I tried to go to sleep, but I couldn't stand the suspense. I had to know.

After all, I had spent the better part of two days with that Beast.

I decided to cut it into thirds and see what I had and to make it easier to

finish cooking in the oven if I had too.

Well it is perfect. Done Deal. I tamed the Chuckzilla!

Absolutely melt in your mouth.

Son #2 came in from girlfriends house and we ate about 5 slice off that bad boy.

I don't know if I will buy a Brisket again.

Chuckie started out weighing 16.43 lbs and the weight after what we ate was 11.75.

I really thought the Brisket was good, but the Chuck Roll was better.

3rensho

That looks simply amazing.  Great job CRG.  We definitely need a tele-transporter on this forum so we can all enjoy the taste and aroma.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

SnellySmokesEm

Thanks for the pics CRG!  I have been waiting all weekend to see those pictures.  So you liked it better than the brisket huh?  At that price it is cheaper than the 12.5lb brisket I just bought.   It looks like it would melt in your mouth!  Thanks for rolling the dice and taking a chance for the benefit of all of us. 
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

KyNola

WOW, that looks amazing CRG.  Way to go.  Thanks for letting us share in the experience.  Would rather be sharing in the eating though ;).

OU812

That all looks great,

Smoked chuckies are good, but better than a brisket?

That would be a coin toss.

Tenpoint5

Looks really great CRG. Like everyone else I wish I was there tasting it right now.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

I had a 2 pound tri-tip roast sitting here and it is now having feelings of inadequacy...  ::)

classicrockgriller

That's for the compliments.

I really didn't know quite what to expect when I started, but I am glad I did it.

One of the things I found out about this cut of meat is the Chuck Eye Steaks are in this cut.

I stopped off at a Meat Market on the way back from Houston today and got a 28 lber. ($1.69 lb)

Chuckzilla's Big Brother. I may disect this thing and just smoke the Chuck eye. Man o Man!

STC, I also stop and couldn't find the exact spice grinder (Typhoon) but did find something I am

going to try and will let you know.

RickWL63

Awesome looking eats CRG.  You guys are the best at giving me ideas.  I tried a pork butt with adobo on it this weekend and it was great.  Also had some Crillo marinade too.  Next I'm moving on to a pork loin.

Caneyscud

CRG - Congrats!  Always been afraid to do one in the Bradley.  Have cooked quite a few in the big iron.  Lots of BBQ restaurants use them - pretty inexpensive compared to brisket in some places especially bought in bulk.  Usually get them in the 20 to 25 lb. and go ahead and go to an IT of 200 or so and pull and chop it.  Those are my longest cooks.  There is a slightly better but similar cut a butcher sells me - he calls it a shoulder clod - very similar, but cut differently and has some muscle that is more tender than found on the chuck roll - or so he says. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

squirtthecat

Dang, I need to find one of these...   Maybe not 28 pounds worth, though.   :o

classicrockgriller

Quote from: RickWL63 on March 22, 2010, 03:32:00 PM
Awesome looking eats CRG.  You guys are the best at giving me ideas.  I tried a pork butt with adobo on it this weekend and it was great.  Also had some Crillo marinade too.  Next I'm moving on to a pork loin.

Good to see you Rick and the Adobo is some good stuff.

Quote from: Caneyscud on March 22, 2010, 04:13:58 PM
CRG - Congrats!  Always been afraid to do one in the Bradley.  Have cooked quite a few in the big iron.  Lots of BBQ restaurants use them - pretty inexpensive compared to brisket in some places especially bought in bulk.  Usually get them in the 20 to 25 lb. and go ahead and go to an IT of 200 or so and pull and chop it.  Those are my longest cooks.  There is a slightly better but similar cut a butcher sells me - he calls it a shoulder clod - very similar, but cut differently and has some muscle that is more tender than found on the chuck roll - or so he says. 

This one I cooked was called a Chuck Roll. The one I got today is called a Chuck Clod.

I may have to do some investigating as I thought they were the same just under 2 different names.

The Chuck Clod is a little shorter and wider. I ask the Butcher if a clod and a roll were the same and he said I think so.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about them. If the Clod is more tender than this, I may not be able to stand it.

It was a Fun and Long smoke.

Tommy3Putts

"oooohhhh Noooooo, there goes Tokyoooooo....... CHUCKZILLA!!!!!

Great job CRG.  Thanks for the play-by-play.