Seeking information on the OBS

Started by gh0strider, March 24, 2010, 07:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gh0strider

I was given a Redi Smoke electric smoker years ago.  I do not use it anymore because the smoker seemed to steam the food rather than cook it with heat.  I am interested in the OBS and wonder, since it is an electric smoker as well, if the OBS does the same thing as the smoker I have.  Any help would be appreciated!!

Tenpoint5

Ghost I don't have an OBS I have the DBS but I can tell you that which ever Bradley you decide on. It will not steam your food. I believe you will be more than satisfied with a Bradley for several reasons. 1 They have awesome customer service, 2 This forum. There is folks from all over the world just waiting to trip all over themselves to help you make the best food you can possibly make in your Bradley. They will even help you modify it to perform above and beyond what you will ever need to do.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

The smoker uses a heating element similar to an oven that heats the food, there is an electric smoke generator that burns the bisquettes, these are then extinguished in a bowl of water placed beneath the heating element. Steam is really not generated such as boiling water, but vent position can control the moisture in the smoker.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Paddlinpaul

I have the OBS and it works great. The best advice I received is to leave the vent open. This allows the temp to go up by letting out all the steam / condensation. Maybe if you vented your current one it would work better.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

gh0strider

Thanks for the replies everyone.  The smoker I have has a big heating element on the bottom which a small pan of wood chips sit on.  The shape is a cylinder with a flat top.  No vents anywhere.  The liquid from the food travels up to the top, hits the lid and rolls down the side.  Every time I open the lid, I feel like I am in a sauna.

Slamdunk

Assuming the description below is the same smoker you have, I just don't understand the phrase "There is a flat lid so juices drip back into the meat." Seems strange to me. The reason you have a smoker is the smoke, which will provide additional flavour to whatever you are cooking. I wouldn't want juices from an old smoker dripping back onto my food. Sounds to me like you were given an inexpensive used smoker which just doesn't compare to what the Bradley can do.

Originally known as the "Redi Smoke" this is the latest addition to a company that is 75 years old! For true smoked flavor with the modern-day convenience of electricity, this is your unit. Just load up the pan with water, some wood chips, plug it in and forget it! It has a heating element, like an electric oven so the temperature is constant. On top of the heating element is a chip tray where you may put some wood chips for smoke flavor. There is a flat lid so juices drip back into the meat. Also-the top fits tightly which reduces the escape of heat and the smoke flavor. Overall, there is a variable heat thermometer providing a wide variety of cookng times and meats that can be prepared easily. The key here is convenience and true "set it and forget it" simplicity.

JT-MO

Make your own vent :)

Or get an OBS, it doesn't steam the food, but due to drippings and water in the bowl there will be moisture, just leave the vent open to let it out.

Quarlow

I see two ways to go on this.
1. you get a 2" hole saw and put a hole in the top of it to see if letting the steam out helps and don't put water in the bowl as the food has enough moisture in it. And don't let the wood chips burn to ash cause that is when the bad stuff comes out of the wood.
Or 2. you chuck that piece of crap and get the best damn smoker ever made. Stick with us on the forum and then produce the best smoked food you ever ate.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

MPTubbs

Quote from: Quarlow on March 24, 2010, 11:12:46 PM
I see two ways to go on this.
1. you get a 2" hole saw and put a hole in the top of it to see if letting the steam out helps and don't put water in the bowl as the food has enough moisture in it. And don't let the wood chips burn to ash cause that is when the bad stuff comes out of the wood.
Or 2. you chuck that piece of crap and get the best damn smoker ever made. Stick with us on the forum and then produce the best smoked food you ever ate.

Ditto!
  ;D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Up In Smoke

Ghostrider,
It looks like the great people here have you very well covered.
This is #2 on the 10.5 and Quarlow list showing itself already! ;)
I was so happy with the OBS i bought a second one.....There are other members here
with more than that.
Look forward to seeing you around here whatever decision you make.

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.